[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: An Afternoon at Peet's

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

An Afternoon at Peet's

(I would like to preface this whole post by reminding you that I know I am a snot and I know I am difficult, demanding, impatient, etc. That's all. Now you can read.)

Sunday was a four-hour-ride day. The weather was picturesque, but blustery. Meaning: headwind no matter which way we turned!

So, a warmth-stop at the Peet's Coffee in Danville was definitely needed.

I did the ordering for the two of us (i.e. for myself and a friend-who-does-not-really-want-to-be-a-character-in-my-blog, to which I will periodically say "tough luck", today is one of those periodic times). Craving a teeny bit of chocolate in addition to my usual latte, I decided to go out on a limb and ask for both a teeny bit of chocolate AND a latte. Here is what I said:

"May I please have one double espresso and one small soy latte. In the latte may I please have a very small amount of chocolate? Say a half a pump? A very small amount. I do not want a mocha, nor do I want whipped cream, I just want a teeny bit of chocolate in my latte."

After re-confirming that all of this made sense to the chipper chick behind the counter, I entrusted drink-pickup to the friend and went to the bathroom where I spent ten minutes extracting myself from and then re-clothing myself in a bunch of sweaty windstopper fleece tyvec spandex.

There was a simultaneous separate drama going on at the drink pick-up counter during this time: Our drinks get called out by the same chick who took the order. She is dangerously wielding a large whipped-cream dispenser, squirting it all over my drink as she is calling out "Double Espresso and Soy Mocha for Courtenay!"

(Mysterious Unnamed Friend) looks at her with pity, and at her messy lilting whipped-cream tower with disgust, as he gets the drinks. "You know, you're probably going to have to make her drink again. Just warning you."

Which explains her lack of suprise when a few minutes later I approached the counter holding an un-touched creamy mess as far away from my body as possible (see note above about me being a snot), asking for a re-do. Also, btw, a few years ago such a mistake would have reduced me to tears but I am happy to say I have matured at least a little bit since then.

Anyway, I guess I just don't understand what's so complex about listening to the customer's detailed description of what they want, and then making it. It's not like I said "may I please have this drink with this stuff in it and then other stuff on top of it?" and then threw a temper tantrum when they didn't deduce what I meant. Sheesh.

Today, (contented sigh), I and my usual drink order were back in the capable hands of Tahnee at the Embarcadero Peet's.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

I hope you watched your cup to make sure it didnt go into the back room and came out with a special pump of something....

8:48 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

don't worry
i wasn't THAT bitchy
as proven by the fact that she even smiled at me on my way out.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home