[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Berkerkerlery Hills

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Berkerkerlery Hills

O.K. I have waited patiently for 6 hours for other people to blog and photo blog about today's race but so far, nothing, and I am just going to bite the bullet, wax rhapsodic, and toot some horns or something all on my own.

I don't have any photos at the moment though, just so you know.

I have never had a good Berkeley Hills, even back when the race finished on Mama Bear and was much more flatlander-friendly. Somehow I nevertheless optimistically set out for a top-5 today. Without any VAC teammates to join me, my strategy was simple. Be patient and be selective about who to follow. 71 miles of being patient is a loooong time for me, let me tell you, but I managed to stick to the plan and I crossed the line in 5th place! I couldn't believe it! I feel like I have gotten so much stronger and better at racing over the past few months, and I am still incredulous about it. Happy sigh.

Badass of the day award goes to Stacy Marple, who soloed in for the win after two windy laps alone off the front. During which time she was consistently gaining on us... proving my theory that she is superhuman.

Major bummer of the day award goes to Sarah Bamberger, whose crankarm fell off 2k from the finish, when she was making 20 mph uphill into the wind look easy and I was making drool look like a permanent fixture on my face.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I have a post-race photo of you from today. I'll send it to your email.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

Congrats. Mike took 185 (!) photos today which we'll post on our web site with a link on our blog. There's a sweet one of you.

i'll blog tomorrow after melting in salinas.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Team TWENTY12 said...

thats an awesome result!!!!
~ Nicola

10:22 PM  
Blogger kbehroozi said...

Court, I'm remember our conversation in the hot sun after the 3 Bears last year and thinking wow, what a difference a year makes.

Congratulations!

Katie (not blogging yet, but thinking about it...)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey ms. mayor,
SWEET job yesterday! You made the finish climb look easy as you breezed in in front of both maria monica and kelly macdonald! Holy shit! you've come a long way this year.
... and... er... sorry about blowing my horn in your face after the race, HA HA, it seemed funny at the time..

p.s. your triathlon spitfire has my stamp of approval

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

RAWK!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

congratulations, courtenay. that's a great result, esp in such a hilly race.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home