[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: The Queen of 23rd Place Finishes 15th!!

Friday, June 09, 2006

The Queen of 23rd Place Finishes 15th!!

Yesterday was the Reading race, the second leg of the Triple Crown race series here in Pennsylvania. Like in Lancaster, the women did a criterium, then the pro men did a road race.
The race was a lot of fun. I was worried because it was a 1.9 mile loop, usually criterium courses are a mile or less, and I was expecting the course to feel long and boring. But it was great - there were 8 turns, some little rises and descents, plenty of varied pavement (i.e. potholes!), some wind, and a lot of spectators. We did 13 laps, none of which felt boring due to the big teams attacking, countering, etc. I tried to race hard and to not worry about running out of gas for the finish - I came across the line 15th! If you have been following my blog you will have noticed that I seem to be the world's expert at finishing 20-somethingth place. But I am breaking out of that rut starting yesterday!
I don't have photos from this race right now - Devon was busy getting ready for his race. And after I finished my race I scrambled to change clothes, check results, buy a piece of pizza for lunch, and find the Monex van so I could go to the feed zone.
Here is the only picture I got of the men's race which went by at standard warp speed. Dan Schmatz went down in a crash early in the race - after I took this photo his soigneur helped clean him up and get his torn spandex off. What a mess.
Then after the race Devon and I spent 40 miles lost on the Pennsylvania Highway system, which as far as I am concerned wins the award for least-tourist-friendly-and-least-well-marked-and-hardest-to-turn-around-in-after-making-a-wrong-guess-as-to-which-exit-you-are-supposed-to-take in the whole country!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home