[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Embarassing Childhood Music Selections

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Embarassing Childhood Music Selections

My first record was Air Supply, the song that was about Love out of Nothing At All or something. Five-year-old Courtenay was brought to tears every time she heard it for some reason. At 8, i got to buy 2 tapes for a plane ride, I chose Billy Idol's Rebel Yell and a Whitney Houston tape where she was bald on the front. I wasn't sure if she was a boy or a girl.

My brother loved Bette Midler's Wind beneath my Wings so much that he had the whole tape. This was when he was 10 years old, an age at which he should have known better...

But we still turned out OK somehow.

I am curious: what were your childhood choices?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I had hand-me-down records (LPs, and 45s). I remember loving Elton John. And Joe Cocker. And Carol King. And then there was Herb Alpert and the Tiajuana Brass.

We had 100s of little 45s, most of them from my father and mother. I remember the lovely Lemon Sisters (or some-such girl group) and their recording of Sandman -- it was hot!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

The two tapes I remember having are Paul Simon and En Vogue. Paul Simon was the tape of choice for road trips, since my parents liked him too. En Vogue was only when my parents weren't around to listen...

7:49 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Paul Simon is SUCH the Parents singer. We had that too.
And, omg, I still have my En Vogue cd...

8:45 PM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

cyndi lauper


... she-bop.


oy.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

Aerosmith, "Permanent Vacation" was my first purchase.

No regrets. They hadn't gone completely bubblegum by then.

5:58 AM  
Blogger EB said...

My parents tell me I was a "Peter & the Wolf" groupie, but the first song I remember hearing was the Doors' "Riders on the Storm." My dad got my brother & I out of bed one night to hear the stormy intro, but my mom made us go to bed before the lyrics started so we wouldn't be scared.

4:54 PM  
Blogger yellowbug said...

I bought Michael Jackson's "Bad" from Bi-Mart when I was in kindergarten

9:57 PM  
Blogger Jill Homer said...

"Hold on for One More Day"

Wilson-Phillips

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home