[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Elitism

Monday, December 18, 2006

Elitism

I subscribe to the music magazine XLR8R, a mostly-electronica-focused publication based in San Francisco. I like it. The most recent issue is a 2006 summary issue, which is cool because it restates all the best music of the year, much of which I missed due to some subscription confusion and way too many races.

Anyway there are also some worst-of lists. Including a Worst Style Trends list, on pg. 49... Amongst the items: "TRACK BIKES Hipsters and their brake-less bikes. Don't judge me 'cause I use brakes and don't have tattoos."

Being a tattoed track bike owner and rider, I could find this statement offensive and elitist in its own way.

Instead I just find it funny. I guess it's Monday morning and I don't have the will or energy to theorize on other people's insecurities!

P.S. I have a brake on my bike, I put it on after riding around the city brakeless for a year or so and having one too many close calls with cars.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home