[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Reno - UPDATED

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Reno - UPDATED

The first time I visited Reno, I didn't have the most fantastic impression. To be fair, though, I was hanging out with Team Monex, not exactly known for their discriminating tastes in accommodations at bike races.

I have since changed my tune. I like Reno. I really like it, actually. Which is a good thing, because Greg and I have amended our moving plans, for various good logical and meteorological reasons... Plus I am a girl so it is always my prerogative to Change My Mind. Anyhow, instead of moving up to Incline Village just in time for winter, we are going to move to Reno for the winter and Incline for the summer. Not quite wintering in Palm Beach and summering in the Berkshires, but from a training perspective, we'll be maximizing opportunities on both sides. I was already sold on Incline, it's beautiful and the training is high quality and very convenient. Now I am just as excited about Reno - so many running trails, a pool at our apartment building, good flat rides for TT practice, and everything so close! And plenty of opportunities to hone my gambling skills.

Just kidding. The extent of my betting doesn't go beyond "$20 says that either the next breakaway will stick or it will end in a field sprint."

AND it looks like I will finally have an in-apartment dishwasher and washer drier!!! (There are definitely comfort benefits associated with moving to a renter's market in a minor metropolitan area.)(Also, the people are so friendly!)

***UPDATE***
Don't Mind Us.
We Think We've Changed Our Minds Again.

Back to Plan A: yay Incline Village!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger yellowbug said...

yeah I like Reno too. I thought about moving up there to do some research at UNR but everyone convinced me not to move. I kind of think Reno is the bomb (ok, I also like the Central Valley) so I will probably need to come visit you guys.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

my only memory from reno is awful! BUT, since i take it you're NOT moving into the Silver Legacy, I gather it might be quite nice.

4:42 PM  
Blogger dblrider said...

The nice part about being in Reno as opposed to Incline - if it snows, it usually doesn't stick around for more than a week. So, you can ride your road bike (assuming you have enough cold weather gear) a bit more often. And you're only 30 to 45 minutes from awesome skiing...

12:28 AM  
Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

GOOD MOVE!

oh, there are excellent training resources in Reno. contact Jenny Frayer (you can reach her through the RenoWheelmen website at cloth07@renowheelmen.org - or email me for her personal addy) for info on the best training rides. She knows that area better then anyone and she's an awesome person to ride with.

The Reno Wheelmen put on an excellent training series of races during the week. That won't be until next year, but still ...

and Jenny can hook you up with some great weekend rides with a smaller crew that does a bit safer of a route than the standard saturday hammerfest (though, that is a good workout).

Bicycle Warehouse is a very good resource for top-end bike work/components. Dave Eastwood prolly still owns it and will treat racers like you right.

Jeff Angermann lives in that area and is ... Angermann. I can get you his email, too - for your high-octane workouts.

congrats on the move. many pro athletes choose Reno to train at ... and it's shown to be successful for most.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home