[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Total Eclipse of the Heart

This was my brother's favourite song when he was 4 and I was 5. No lie. Mine was Air Supply's "Making Love out of Nothing At All"... sweet jesus. I'm blaming it all on my mom.

Anyway last night I got up to see the lunar eclipse! It was gorgeous! I actually had to get up twice, for some reason I was like "OK so the full eclipse starts at 2:52 a.m. but I should probably get up a few minutes before that so I'll set my alarm for 1:40", which I did. Went trotting up to the roof at 1:45 in time to catch the very teensy beginning of the hour-long movement into the full eclipse.

Sigh.

So I went back downstairs till 3 a.m. and then ran back up to the roof for the real deal. Tried to take photos but they didn't turn out. Then I woke Greg up and made him look out the kitchen window at the moon (not as good as the roof but it sufficed - also not as cold as the roof)(plus he had to borrow my glasses since he lost his).

I didn't see anyone else in the neighborhood on their roof, and so far no one else at work got up to see it either.

I'm totally tired but it was totally worth it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Garrett Lau said...

I got up twice, too. I didn't set my alarm. I was just awakened by noisy neighbors. The first time, it was around 2:00am. I looked out the window and the moon still looked full, so I went back to sleep. The second time was 4:00am. The moon was in total eclipse, so went outside and set up my camera.

Even with a really long lens on a professional-quality camera and tripod, my photos weren't that great, but here's a link to one of them:
http://www.pbase.com/garrettlau/image/84631260

11:09 AM  
Blogger Holly R said...

I actually set my alarm to get up at 3:45 a.m., so I could see it an it's peak. I was praying it would be clear, since it's been nasty and cloudy every morning for the past how many days? What a sight! I was so keyed up that I really don't think I slept again (after trying to go back to bed). I got up for good at 5:00 a.m., and like a dork, I just had to go look at it again!

I'm totally exhausted, the espresso doesn't seem to be working fast enough, but it was SOOOOOO worth it.

2:01 PM  
Blogger EB said...

I'm completely bummed...I thought that the "Tuesday night" they mentioned in all the articles I read was tonight, but they actually meant "early Tuesday morning." No moon for me.

5:01 PM  
Blogger EB said...

I'm completely bummed...I thought that the "Tuesday night" they mentioned in all the articles I read was tonight, but they actually meant "early Tuesday morning." No moon for me.

5:01 PM  
Blogger EB said...

Hm...but apparently missing the eclipse gave me some sort of double-commenting superpower...

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home