[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Bay Area Super Prestige Cyclocross #3

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bay Area Super Prestige Cyclocross #3

The first minute of today's race was awesome! I got a great start, hit the dirt first, hit the barriers first... quite literally, unfortunately.

I take back what I said in a previous post about my bike being an inanimate object. That thing has a mind and attitude of its own. Somehow this collision (caused by my complete unawareness of how fast I was going, so I take full responsibility) resulted in my chain falling off underneath the chainguard and lodging itself in the nether regions of the bottom bracket area. I got to the top of the big run-up before I realized it, went backwards after remounting my bike, caused at least one girl to crash (sorry!), and then started wrestling with my bike. It almost won. I watched the entire field of B's, 35+'s, and C's pass me before Travis came and rescued me!

The rest of the race was fun though, I passed people and I got $6 from the beer bottles at the top of the run-up, which was enough to cover my post-race burrito so I was happy.

Here I am running up the run-up like a real 'cross racer.
Here I am negotiating these twisty parts that were ridiculously hard for some reason. I was running them until Mack goaded me into riding them like a real 'cross racer - gotta be consistent I guess:

And here I am again! You can see that there is another racer in the background...
And here is Jen! Like me, she didn't have the most successful day with her bike (she crashed), but like me she also had fun. See, she is smiling!
I plan on attending couples counselling with my bicycle this week, so that we can work through our communication issues and have a successful race next weekend.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

dang! I saw you at the top of the run-up and wanted to help you (but of course, it's a race and I didn't stop). Was glad when you passed me back. You had a great race considering everything.

ps -- having he barrier down made it real easy on the first lap. thanks!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home