[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Rules

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Rules

I have some rules for myself. Vestiges of four years in an all girls' boarding school, or perhaps of being brought up in a Navy family. Three generations of Naval officers, as a matter of fact. But my generation was exempt from keeping up the family tradition because my great grandfather Capt. Alvah B. Court said the Navy went to hell the day they let women into the Academy.

Anyway, back to my point. Rules. I think they are a good idea. Things like:
- no snacking on mixed nuts at work even if there is a nice plump pecan at the top of the nut canister
- on-line purchases can only be items that are not locally obtainable, to save resources
- be nice
- only purchase items at Ambiance that cost less than $50 each unless they are a. dresses, b. on sale, or c. the miraculous physical embodiment of an imaginary perfect clothing item that has been in my head for weeks, for example the super cute cropped red blazer with pink silk lining that I got in November.

That last one started out stricter (no "unless" section) but my discipline there is borderline nonexistent. Good thing they don't have an East Bay location, nor are they planning to open one any time soon. Yes, I asked.

My discipline on this rule is nonexistent too: no stressing out about Devon's race to the point of tears or lost sleep.

But I do. I always have, actually. I can't help it. So I am going to try a new rule, starting tomorrow: stressing out about Devon's race is permitted for a 3 hour continuous window of time only, commencing at the end of my race, not the beginning.

Wish me luck!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

it's hard not to stress out about "their" race.

i get more nervous about making sure we're there on time for morgan's race then mine. not sure why, but i totally get what you're saying.

and i like the "be nice" rule too.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

who was the guy that supposedly looks like Shaggy from Scooby Do? I went and checked out the pictures looking for a Shaggy look-alike. Was it Mike Taylor? I think he comes the closest.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home