[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Gangsta Life

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Gangsta Life

7 p.m. this evening. I've just parked after a trip to the grocery store, I'm standing in the street getting ready to unload the car, and I'm on the phone with Devon:

Devon:...so yeah, I'm watching the Superbowl at Cliff's tomorrow.

Me
: Sick! Call me when-
uuuuuuuuumm
oooooo
one... two... three... four... five... six cop cars?!
SSSSSSSix cop cars are driving past me right now!
WWWWhat the-


Sixth Cop, rolling down his window to talk to me
: Get in your car. Now.

Me
: Oh shit. Devon? I have to call you back-

The procession of six comes to a stop about 50 feet past my building, on the next block. There is commotion and a noise - let's call it a gun shot for dramatic effect, but by this point I am so busy ducking and being scared that I don't remember for sure.

I fumble with my keys, get the car started, hightail it out of there, and drive around Piedmont and Broadway Ave.'s for 15 nervous minutes, leaving "DUDE, guess what just HAPPENED?!" voicemails all over the place.

But now everything seems to be back to its shady normalness.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger EB said...

We used to live on a street like that -- they'd close it down for hostage situations, hit & runs and other such fun things. Once I went downstairs to ask the cop on the corner what was going on & could we leave and he wasn't too happy to see me there...I got an earful. The next time I just went out on the balcony & called down to him. He liked that even less.

What was it?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF happened? Geeez, it's like you've never written before.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Um, I don't know what happened regarding the six cops and the scuffle on the next block.
The what-happened voicemails consisted of exactly the same info as what's in the blog.
Sooo, no juicy drug dealing armed robbery kidnapping details. I honestly don't know what all the scuffle was about.

However, the night before, on the same block, I am pretty sure someone's car got stolen. Alarm in a shitty-ish car was going off for a while, it looked like someone was in the car, sure enough as soon as the alarm stopped going off the car peeled out. But I couldn't see a license plate, a face, or a make of the car, so what helpful thing could I have done? "'Scuse me, scary looking dude sir, I don't think this is your car, so I just called 911?"

Yeah.

Yay Oakland.

So I don't live in the safest neighborhood. Please don't rag on me, Anonymous, for not walking around getting all nosy.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home