[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Higher Education

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Higher Education

My mom reads this blog (and she likes to accuse me of "excessive hyberbole especially in relation to YOUR MOTHER!").

She keeps telling me to go to journalism school.

I can't tell if:
a. she thinks I am a good writer
b. she thinks I am a horrible writer who needs help
or c. neither of the above, she is just taking a different approach to get me to insert meaning and purpose into my daily work life, she contends that my current occupation is a waste of my abilities and thus is not putting me on the path to fulfillment. You know, typical mom stuff that is usually spot-on but you don't have the energy to deal with it yet.

Anyway, it's a cool idea in the abstract, but I don't know about the reality. Journalism's not like engineering, you don't really need a higher degree to know how to write. And it's not like a PhD in Classics, which is purely academic and half the fun of being in school is that you're a scholar and you debate theses and concepts over long lunches. And school's expensive.

And, ultimately, I'd be afraid that I was using grad school in order to escape the real world. I'd be afraid that I was putting adulthood on the shelf for a couple of years, only to come back and find it dusty and a little out-of-date.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

or
D) your mom thinks you use excessive hyperboles; most journalism stretches the truth as well so you'd make a good fit.

maybe that's what she meant?

not that I agree.

p.s. I liked your post about the horses. I guess all types of racing are dramatic!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Court--I'm loving reading your blog too. Just wanted to add that any kind of infatuation can be used to escape "reality"--not necessarily grad school.


Anyway the best/worst reality is seeing ourselves as we really are, accepting that, and doing the best we can to develop both our strengths and weaknesses so we can be balanced and happy.

Allison

6:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I went to J-school and got a less-paying job where I work longer hours and am quickly losing my vision, hair and fitness because all I ever do is sit in front of a computer screen and surf the internet.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home