[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: In Love Again

Monday, March 12, 2007

In Love Again

I am once again in love with my little TT bike. It was in the doghouse for about a year, because every time I rode it I would come home with some new saddle sore or knotted muscled or bruised knee after only an hour of riding. Granted, this was mostly my fault, because about a year ago I messed around with the fit and just made things worse.

Then a few months ago I enlisted some apparently unqualified outside help and made things much worse. Much much worse.

THEN, I got pointed towards Christopher Kautz at PK Racing. I had my fit appointment last week, headed down to Fresno for a stage race two days later, and miraculously survived the time trial without an ache or pain.

Actually that's a lie, that TT was long and hard (see post below about Fresno), but the hurting had nothing to do with poor bike fit. For the first time pretty much ever, I stayed in the aero position the whole time until the finish hill, and I didn't feel like someone was pulling some serious voodoo action on every major leg and back muscle in my body.

What remains to be seen is if I can put this nice position and cute little bike to good use - i.e. practice my time trialing and actually get good at it. But at least I am in love with the bike again, it's kinda hard to practice your TT'ing if you hate and avoid the bike!

Here is Devon putting the finishing touches on the new cables and shortened steer tube while also telling me that I should leave tha black bar tape on rather than switching to silver (I think silver would tie in nicely with the saddle. Silver is my new favourite bar tape colour, but I am being shot down on all sides. Sigh):


And just for fun, because I like taking pictures of guys on my bikes since they look like they are on tricycles, here he is on my Serotta:


I am going to try to talk some nice big pro guy into getting on my TT bike at Visalia this weekend. I wonder if Henk will be there?

P.S. Let me know if you want to know who not to see for a TT fit...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

aHAHAHA LOVE the picture of devon on your bike, you little midget you.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

silver is good! I'm a white bar-tape kinda girl, myself.

so, tell me about your bad bike fit -- lorri@velogirls.com

9:35 AM  
Blogger EB said...

Urgh. I'm not yet sure how I feel about time trials, but have an inkling I should give them a go. Double urgh.

3:23 PM  
Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

now all you need is a drop stem so you can buff your nails with your front tire....

I give my nails a buffing every other week or so....

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it helped! $350 is not the cheapest fitting, but Chris really seems to know what he's doing, so seems worth it. Siver tape, for sure. -Travis Freewheel

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home