[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: How do I file for an extension?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How do I file for an extension?

This is the third night in a row that I realize at almost-bedtime that I completely forgot about my taxes again. I have actually been productive today - trained, did laundry, cleaned up (why is this always on my to do list?!), packed stuff and cleaned bike for tomorrow's team photo shoot, had super important correspondence and conversation with super important friends about super important topics like boys and clothes and bike parts - I just spaced on the taxes part.

And, I guess I picked a slightly inopportune time to re-sign-up for Netflix. Season 1 Disc 1 of Weeds arrived this afternoon and I am already on episode 4... Excuse for this one is I do lots of quality stretching whilst watching DVDs.

Hey did anyone else almost get blown off their bike this afternoon? I felt like Dorothy or Mary Poppins or something. Not good for my vertigo. And I saw more than a few birds hovering in the same place midair for minutes on end. I found myself wondering how they aren't afraid of heights. I want their secret.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger ~ lauren said...

oh, the dreaded taxes. we owe a lot. i'll probably do an extention too. but you know, you have till monday this year b/c of a weird holiday in D.C.

was funny to see you yesterday! i didn't recognize the kit at first.

and getting blown around, oiy vey.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you still have a few days, so I would say just file. It really is more important than that morning (or afternoon) of training. But, if you need to file an extension, the first thing to do is pay your taxes.

That's right: even if you need to file and extension, you still need to make sure you have sent in all the money you are likely to owe this year by the 15th or risk incurring penalties when you do file (extensions are due in, iirc, October).

Once you do that, the extension form is short and available at irs.gov, along with payment coupons if you need to do that yourself.

I'm not an accountant, etc., etc.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

problem #2, which is actually one of the reasons why i keep procrastinating, is that i am missing one piece of tax info (a 1099-div i think it is) from one source of income that is late in sending out their tax info. so they say to file for an extension. but i have no dollar figure to input in to little boxes to help figure out what i owe.
ugh.
tonight, tonight, i'll tackle it tonight. (great now i have a phil collins song stuck in my head)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Steven Woo said...

Weeds rocks. Got better and better, only problem is waiting for season 3.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Courtenay, Since I'm familiar with the "missing source of income" and the always late status of their report let me tell you how we do it. I pay an accountant! NOw--since you are working as an accountant you may feel that you should do your own--and maybe you should. But let me tell you the lack of emotional stress is SO WORTH IT!! I think for estimating purposes you can use last years dividend #'s, then pay what you think you owe at the same time as you send in the extention. We are in a funny situation since we never owe uncle Sam anything (bunch of 0's on the extention form) but we always owe the state--so we end up paying about $50 of penalties on that bill--oh well.

Good luck! Having tax day be my birthday has been terrible in past years--rushing to file before the post office closes--and before being able to celebrate. . ugg!

love love

3:24 PM  
Blogger Bill B said...

Unless you have extenuating circumstances with your income, as in coming from offshore investments or other bizarre sources, doing an e-file is actually pretty painless. Turbotax.com does both the fed and state for $50. I would take last year's 1099-div, add a few $$ to it and use that number. If it turns out you're grossly incorrect, file an amended return. In general, you have to show "Good faith effort" to get them done.
Good luck at Sea Otter!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the reason birds aren't afraid of heights is...

drum roll please...

they don't have to pay taxes.

no

it's because they can fly.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

thanks lb! you are like soo smart and everything! yay! :) i mean what would i DO without you?!

jokey poo.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home