[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Eek

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Eek

Well. Today was Stage One of NVGP. I don't really like to be a whiner on this blog, I prefer to save that for in-person dramatics, but right now I am going to be a whiner because Stage One Was Awful (aside from guest cheerleader appearance by Smithers and super support from Super-Rookie, of course - those aspects were not awful, but most others were).

Anyway to recommence the whining let's do some bike arithmetic:

125 starters
+
1k course
+
90 something degrees outside
+
tight tight corners
+
your typical omnipresent midwestern wind
+
approximately 20 manhole covers per square foot of asphalt (only a mild exaggeration here)
+
2 riders called up per team (meaning almost 30 riders called up)
+
me not getting a call up
=
1 NOT HAPPY COURTENAY


and not a happy lots of riders actually. The race was fast from the gun (necessarily, I know, but still). There were some yucky crashes, including at least one somersault, and as per usual both times I was affected by crashes I stupidly opted to suck it up and chase rather than to feign crashing and take a free lap. Go pea-brain-me go! I spent the whole time trying for the life of me to make it into at least the top 30, wishing I could take off my freaking gloves since it was so hot, wanting to banish insidious "wtf am I doing here" thoughts from aforementioned pea brain, knowing it is harder in the back than the front and I needed to get up to the front, duh, but feeling so fried that The Front may as well have been Antarctica or some other far away and blessedly cold place, and nevertheless digging as deep as possible so as to not let anyone down.

Sigh.

Tomorrow is another day and I am somehow finding myself starting to look forward to it?!?! I guess that's a good sign.

In the meantime, I am going to get some good vibes from my little Pox because I have decided he is a polka dot king of the mountains pony, which btw is my new favourite phrase, and anyway as such he must have good vibes to give me so snuggle-time here I come. First however I may re-paint my fingernails. I got a manicure today and the really snazzy purply color in the bottle came out as this kind of muddy old-lady-hair-color on my nails.

Bleh, sigh, and eek again. And a protruding tongue to boot.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger b-luv said...

court--- just wait til you race europe, you get all that minus the ridiculous call-ups, but then add in a hundred people yelling at you all the time and cars screamng alongside you and then loads of crazy placed road furniture. it makes today look like a breeze, except for the little problem we had today with domestic women and cornering! that was scary..!
ps) you looked good out there... give yourself some credit :)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"goooo courtenay!" (said in courtenay-esque barely audible but persistent cheering voice)

keep it up!

and I hate it when that happen with nail polish.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

hang tough, my friend. you love this, remember?

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home