[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Not Quite Cracked Any More

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Not Quite Cracked Any More

I was in a terrible mood at the beginning of the race today.

Ready to pack it up and peace out of this crashfest suffer-party of a quote-unquote sport, in which I have lately felt like little more than a suffering crash-avoiding passenger, and which continually RUINS my hard-earned non-tan lines, anyway I was ready to kiss it goodbye and go have some temper tantrums in a corner by myself or something.

That's me in the middle, Crabby Appleton, rolling off the start of the 85ish mile Mankato Road Race today.


Then somewhere around mile 8 I decided I was having fun, and somewhere around mile 22 Katie asked me to come up front, I saw it was a good moment to attack, so off I went.

How cool! Me attacking! This is racing, I thought.

But NO ONE CAME WITH ME. Ugh and a half.

Then this girl bridged up.

Then we had this gap. We rode and rode and rode some more.

About 30 miles went by, and we were back in the peloton, I was chitchatting with all my teammates and fellow racers who I had really missed terribly during the breakaway, etc.

The finishing circuits were pretty harsh though and I fell off the back fast. But I still finished.

Here I am looking awesome and resplendently happy again (this is on the finishing circuit, 1 lap from being finished!):


How and why do I have the hugest head ever?


Seriously though, it was an awesome day. It felt great to actually do something during a big stage race, other than just following wheels. I had fun. I actually raced my bike. I can't wait till my next big breakaway, when I will pedal and drool away for even longer. Grand retirement soiree has been indefinitely postponed.

Tomorrow is our last race with Katie Mac this year, and might also be our last race with Marni as well. I'll miss them both a lot.

Separate observatory note: the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul area seems to have as many chiropractors as it does churches. WTF do people DO to themselves here that they all need spinal adjustments all the time?!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Smith said...

WTF do people DO to themselves here that they all need spinal adjustments all the time?!

Ever shoveled snow? That crap looks all light and fluffy but it is heavy as hell. Very hard on the back.

Plus people fall off their roofs in the winter trying to get rid of the snow and ice.

It's generally a very dangerous state in which to reside but it keeps out the riff-raff.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Oh.

Right.

And I was just celebrating my general departure from the "riff-raff" category... Shoot.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Scott Nygaard said...

Hey you made the cyclingnews.com report!

The women's field was active during portions of its 86 mile event, with a break of two powering off the front after the first intermediate sprint. The duo included Courtenay Brown (Value Act Capital) and Julie Bishop (Naturals), who spent 30 miles off the front together.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Super Rookie said...

i love how i totally don't get any credit for pushing you 70% of the way up that hill!

good job on the break though.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the breakaway! It was nice meeting you yesterday too. Have a safe trip home and hope to see you here again next year!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

your head isn't huge -- your body is tiny (in a petite kind of way). congrats on getting back in the game.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home