[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Vegas Virgin

Friday, November 09, 2007

Vegas Virgin

This is my first time in Vegas. Going from this:

through this:

to this:

...was a somewhat eye-opening progression. Or a depressing one, I guess. This country has such beautiful, beautiful things, and Vegas is not one of them. For one thing, the light pollution at night was visible from 170 miles away. I knew that the city was huge, excessive, and grossly American, but seeing it in person for the first time was still shocking.

But enough rambling about the obvious and the boring.

I am very excited about the race on Sunday. It takes place mostly to the southeast of the city, where it's hilly and the air is pretty clear. Conditions are supposed to be perfect. I feel fortunate to have opted against the Treasure Island Triathlon this weekend, because of the oil tanker disaster from earlier in the week. The swim portion of that race is likely to be canceled, making the event a duathlon (bike and run only) - this would cater to my strengths for sure but it would not give me the open-water race-situation swim practice that I desperately want heading into next season.

Amusingly: the check-in lady at the hotel asked if we were here to get married and whether we needed a wedding chapel or something. We were both like "ew gross".

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Yeah--Vegas is scary. I was there over 10 years ago, and was really turned off by the edge-of-the-city planned community thing. YUCK! I tell my kids stories of the poor children who can't find their way home because all the houses look the same (they've wised up to that and point out that there are house nubers).

Have a great race Court!

9:38 PM  
Blogger achilles3 said...

I think LV needs more than the OE to be safe and normal.
SO scary...
good luck!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yucky. vegas gives me the heeby-jeebies.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home