[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: NYC Marathon Yesterday

Monday, November 05, 2007

NYC Marathon Yesterday

Yesterday turned out to be a perfect day to declare myself "sick" and stay inside in front of the TV all day.

It started out with the NYC Marathon highlights. Paula Radcliffe took off at 1 mile, shadowed by Gete Wami, and they ran 1-2 the entire way. With a half mile to go it looked like Wami was going to pimp Radcliffe for the win... I found a grainy cell-phone video on YouTube, it's not the best quality but it was still an amazing race to watch!



Then it was time for the Patriots-Colts game. At this time, my resident sports expert informed me that "Randy Moss is like the most talented athlete out there. He is 6'5" and he runs a 4.1 40!" (*sigh* etc.) (and yes I had to ask what that meant). As evidenced by the following clip, which both Resident Expert and TV Experts called pretty much the best catch they'd ever seen:



Plus the Patriots won, and we were rooting for them (for different reasons... mine had to do with Tom Brady being cuter than Peyton Manning, Resident Expert's had to do with tactics and fundamentals and whatnots).

As if that weren't enough goodness coming from the TV, during the other-game-highlights show I saw what is now MY FAVOURITE football moment EVER, courtesy of the Detroit Lions' Shaun Rogers:


I am now totally a football fan.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tuffy said...

I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing that a 4.1 40 would make Randy Moss the fastest man ever recorded -- faster than the Olympic and World Records.

PS: If you're from Minnesota, you still hate Randy Moss and you always will. Quitting during the NFC Champ game against the NYG; "I'll play when I want to play" quote; running down a MPLS traffic cop and then describing how he paid the fine -- "Straight cash, homey", etc. A fine individual, really...

8:17 PM  
Blogger Team TWENTY12 said...

That puts the Rad in Radcliffe, she is just amazing, got way faster after kids. her secret is steak and kidney pie! hope you are lovin' life up there.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

world class, yes, but not the fastest ever.

Turns out you're right, but just barely. The world record over 50m (indoor track) is 5.56s by Donovan Bailey in 1996.

After doing the conversion, Bailey covered 9.83yds/s. Moss, according to the 4.1s/40yd stat you provided, covers 9.76yds/s.

Pretty f'ing close.

But here's the thing: I was being sarcastic when I said Moss might be the fastest human ever because I don't, for one second, buy that he runs a 4.1s/40yd dash.

And I still don't buy it. Why? There's no way that Moss is as fast as Bailey was. As well, the fastest 40yd time recorded that I can find is Bo Jackson's 4.18.

The fastest reported time I can find for Moss, incidentally, is 4.25.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

ok tuffy i will let you PARTIALLY ruin my story with facts, but only because i like you.

but not without a few comments:
-here is an informative article on the 40 yd dash, it includes discussion discrepancies due to timing methods (electronic gate vs. hand timed during game for example) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash
-and btw randy moss's 4.25 was timed electronically, the "slower" of the two methods. i can't tell whether bo jackson's was? the world's best sprinters run a 3.9-4.0 40 with this timing method
-randy moss has 4 kids with the same chick. one of them is named thaddeus - my nephew is also named thaddeus. THUS, randy moss is still cool.

now can we move on to shaun rogers and his TD?! i am guessing he ran a 10.5 66?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Dino Dante said...

Thanks for sharing the Paula video. She is the bomb.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home