[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Rode the Peaks

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rode the Peaks

I did my outdoor Incline Peaks ride yesterday - it was fantastic! Hardly any cars! Several friendly fellow-citizens out walking their friendly well-behaved cute doggies! I even saw another cyclist! (And, I have a new appreciation for how many pricey houses are tucked away on the mountainside, all in this one little town...)

The weather was decent but super windy. On future windy days I will avoid Tyner, the biggie that goes up to 7,600', because it's quite exposed, and while it averages a 6% gradient there are many stretches that are 8-10%. So, combine these factors with the many curves in the road and the lack of those metal bumper/fence-like thingies that prevent cars (and bikes) from flying off the road into a gulley 200 ft below, and you get a road that's fun to climb but not so much fun to descend in 15-25mph mountainside gusts! The views were gorgeous though, next time I will bring my camera.

I feel lame that I was humbled by a little steep road and some wind... What happened to the Courtenay who used to race people down the mountain? I am hoping it's just a matter of clearing out my descending cobwebs after a winter on the trainer.

Anyhow after my ride I spent 40 minutes in line at Raley's - apparently it's Spring Break for a bunch of people so they've descended on my store and wiped them out of all my favourite stuff, although I will say that Maui Melon Mint Orbit Gum is not a bad stand-in for Lemon-Lime.

After that I spent about an hour and forty minutes trying to get what seems to be a 697cc tire onto my 700cc race wheel. I tried every trick in the book shy of breaking off my carbon rim. Next up is batting my eyelashes at some big strong boys, for example Greg and our team mechanic John. And, guess what else: I get to pick up my NEW BIKE this weekend!!! I am so excited, I can't wait to ride it!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Holy crap, that is a SWEEEET bike. Wow, congratulations!!! You're gonna fly!!

I'm sure the descending thing is really just clearing out cobwebs. Though being pushed around by gusts on a mountainside has the potential to spook even the studliest descenders, I would think.

Look forward to pics of one of my favorite places from that new camera!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Hi,
Sorry that I haven't responded to your question about our team. We are actually just teammates w/the same coach but we will not race as a team. That would be a cool idea, but we all do different distances, so it would be tough! Have a great day and thanks for your comments. Oh and congrats on the new bike ;-)

E

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riding outside AND getting a new bike?! It's almost too much isn't it?!! Sweet ride! You better take some pictures on the maiden voyage!

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

update (since I'm sure everyone is dying with suspense): I tried for about three seconds to get that tire onto the rim and it totally wasn't happening - not even close. I don't know how she expects anybody to get it on without tire levers (she doesn't want the carbon scratched or whatever).

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA I loved the spring break thing, gave me a good laugh early this morning.

Awesome bike, kick ass color, I'm jealous... but not of the wind gusts because my wind gusts can kick you wind gust's butt!! Although I have no cool mountains to ride.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home