[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Moment of Truth

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Moment of Truth

I have been hitting "refresh" on the race photo site for Wildflower all week. Well lo and behold, my wishes were finally answered. I got to see what I *really* looked like out there.

Here I am on the bike...


And here I am responding to a complete stranger ordering me to smile 30 seconds after an only moderately glorious finish:

So the answer to "how did I look?!" is basically the same answer as "how did I race?!": not bad but definitely room for improvement. (I did not post the photos I didn't like, you know the ones with one short leg all pulled up, my face all scrunched, inadvertent belly shots, etc). I am not a fan of my hairdo. What do you long-haired ladies do with your hair on race day? My last two races I have done a low braid but UGH. Yuck. Feels like a mullet for girls. Maybe I will go back to my old bike racing standby, a half-pulled-through ponytail and just take the extra 5 seconds to pull it through my helmet.

This is a very important issue so stop laughing at me Greg, Loren, etc.

Also after looking at my photos I am wondering how my big old arms and shoulders could possibly not swim fast. Hmm. I am going to Columbia with the attitude that I am a speedy swimmer just waiting to be unleashed.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Gilby said...

Why weren't you wearing one of those fancy sperm-shaped helmets?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

yeah i should have... i didn't bring it. it's uncomfortable for long periods of time so i am not yet brave enough to wear it for a half. i'll have it on next week at columbia though since it's olympic (40k bike).

coolness here i come!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! That's your patented "charming" smile, I love it!

I think you look great! No starving yourself or laying out in the sun!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

go with the low ponytail thing. it totally works great

3:11 PM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

you are so cute courtenay! i go with a ponytail and pull it through my helmet as i run out. but be careful, this time i thought i could multitask and i dropped my bike. embarrasing! oops. talk to you soon ms. c.

xo,
e

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do the double french braid

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wear the ponytail low to fit under the back of the helmet, then yank it up a little to work with the visor/run hat.

You do look like you have swimmer shoulders just waiting to be unleashed. Stretch lots. Real swimmers (I remember from when I was one eons ago) have absurdly flexible shoulder sockets and ankles, in part due to constantly stretching.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome job at Wildflower!!! You looks awesome in those race pics!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Wow. You would really take 5 seconds in transition to get a pony tail into your helmet? Remind me only to listen to your out-of-competition fashion advice.

Nice job at WF.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

BEN, SHUT UP!!!!

Hey Court, I think the pics are great. I know what you mean though about the ones you don't like...I don't get how they're able to get so many BAD shots of us out there. Sigh.

Anyway, when I had longer hair, I did the lower ponytail thing too. It takes 5 seconds and it's out of your face.

Now I"m stuck because I'm finally growing my hair out and it's too short to pull back right now but feels so icky under my helmet because it's a mess and there's nothing I can do about it.

Women really have it tough.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home