[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Neoprene and Birthdays

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Neoprene and Birthdays

I realized today why I love my wetsuit so much. Not because it basically prevents me from drowning, although that is a nice perk. Nope, I love it because of its wondrous smell. Mmmm, neoprene! Even more specifically: many horse boots are made of neoprene. You put them on their legs for protection. When you take them off they are usually a little sweaty or perhaps a little wet and you really smell the neoprene. So my wetsuit reminds me of the barn and of PONIES!!!

Thusly I am very excited to don my wetsuit again in less than 2 weeks, at the Columbia Triathlon.

See, he is wearing boots on his legs!


I'm not sure how hot this look is.


A second thing I am very excited about is my upcoming 30th birthday, which is in almost exactly 4 months. I've just confirmed plans for the day and it's going to be awesome.

September 7, 2008 will start out with me racing the L.A. Triathlon. After the race I will be socializing with Greg, Jaffa, my aunt and uncle, Paula, and perhaps a few other lucky invitees (let me know if you will be at the race and want some celebratory swill). AND THEN, that evening, I am getting on a plane to HAWAII for a WHOLE WEEK!!! Wooohooo! Big family trip. My sister Scare is turning 21 this year so since it's a big year for more than half her kids, my mom convinced all of us to get together for a vacation. I just got my plane ticket.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

a) I LOVE the observation about our wetsuits and how they remind you of horse boots!!! Funny, but I always thought that neoprene smell seemed kind of familiar but could never make the association why...

b) You're doing L.A. Tri?!? I was thinking about doing that one. If I do, I DEF want IN on the big celebration!!!!

c) Was the plane ticket super expensive???

That's still cool that you're going. I love Hawaii. Which island?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

yeah i have no idea why i finally realized that about the boots... but it's totally why it's such a familiar smell.

and i just registered for la! you should come! last year i was there just to watch. i am looking forward to actually racing it.

as for tix... not too bad. thankfully it's my birthday present though, i am not exactly raking in the big bucks here! we're going to oahu first, that's where my brother lives, then we'll be on the big island for 4 days! i am stoked because i have never been there, only oahu and maui.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Smell is the strongest memory trigger of all the senses. I could never figure out why I loved the smell of the wooden boat yard where John worked--then one day he mentioned the resin he was workng with. . .my arts high school had resin all over the place, for dancers shoes, and musicians bows--brought back good memories!

Yeah for Hawaii!! Yeah for 30!
Love ya!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

How EXCITING!!!! I've always wanted to visit Hawaii - your trip sounds like it'll be a blast. Also, if we've moved to San Diego by the time LA Tri rolls around, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll come cheer you on!

As for the scent... whenever I smell the track - the unique scent of a running track - my stomach always lurches, because it invariably means I'll be going fast. Just noticed that with my walking lateley. I would smell the track and suddenly get nervous. ha ha. Go figure!

Tabbitha says hi to Charilie, and she's hoping that he gets a picture posted soon. :)

5:47 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

hawaii sounds so nice. i always wondered what its like

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I get nervous as soon as I smell the track, too!

Maybe we can hang out after the race, Marit, because somebody is leaving that evening for Hawaii WITHOUT ME.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

MARIT MIGHT BE MOVING TO SD?!?

Now I REALLY have to come join the party.

And now that Greg's commented...everybody in unison..."POOOOOOR GREG!" ;)

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home