[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Level 5 Spicy

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Level 5 Spicy

So for those of you who are wondering what the status is on my Michelin's, my eyelash batting worked, tires are now on wheels and ready to race.

That happened yesterday, when Greg and I headed to Reno's Bike Warehouse via the Apple store to finally replace my broken shuffle charger and prior to going to the foot store to get Greg some special shoe inserts, which itself was prior to us going out for a Thai dinner.

The dinner was the funny part.

Greg and I like spicy foods. But being two plain-looking white twenty-somethings, we tend to get the raised eyebrow when we ask for our dishes to be the hottest on the spicy scale. Then when the dishes come we usually dump more spice on it because they inevitably decided for us that we wanted level 3 not level 5.

So last night we ask for 5, get the eyebrow, our soup comes, Greg dumps a bunch of pepper stuff in it before even tasting it, then in his first bite gets a pepper flake stuck in his throat and starts coughing uncontrollably. I didn't add pepper, it was actually spicy enough as it was (which is a first), I just tried not to laugh uncontrollably as a. Greg coughed and b. our waitress rushed over and gleefully asked if our soup was too spicy.

Then when the entrees came, which by the way were also solid 5's on the spicy scale, she asked us like 3 more times if dinner was too spicy. We finished almost everything, without sweating or coughing again, so no it wasn't too spicy, it was perfect.

My customer-service-nazi side emerged when it came time to tip. I only gave her 10%. Your server isn't supposed to hope you don't like your food, and $3.34 for an extra cup of rice is a bit ridiculous.

Anyhow now I am back at home after dropping Greg off at the Reno airport this morning, the apartment is quiet without him. I have tons to keep me busy though, in addition to work I will be doing laundry, cleaning all the spilled chain lube out of my bike tools bag, washing my bike, packing, and reassuring Kitty that I will only be gone for a couple of days and no he's not going to starve. I leave for Wildflower tomorrow!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Courtenay said...

thanks lorri! you too! and i can't wait to see you and catch up in person! are you bringing julie?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sorry I'm going to be missing out on the fun. :( I'll be wishing you all the best from up here, though!

I totally feel your pain on the spicy thing. THE SAME THING happens to us!

So on the way home from Sacto on Sunday I stopped in Cowtown (aka Vacaville) to see my dad and went to this place called Villa Corona to get a burrito. They have a great restaurant in Napa and I know them pretty well.

So when I ordered the Chile Verde burrito that said "SPICY!", I still thought "eh, yeah, and pigs fly."

Well apparently, they really meant it. I couldn't even eat half the burrito, my mouth was on FIRE.

There is such a thing as TOO MUCH spice, where you can't even taste the food. That sucked. :(

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

eyelash batting is great. i should feel bad for being a wimp, but i will try anything to get other people to fix stuff on my bike.

good luck at wildflower!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man if you like spicy food you need to come visit me. ben can attest i make food spicy to a whole new level. i am also the salsa queen.

back when i could eat burritos i would go to this awesome place in marin called hightec and ask for the unadvertised 'nuclear' hot sauce... yea being a little white girl the hispanics gave me some weird looks and comments. one time i sat in the place and wolfed the whole thing down without touching my drink just to prove i could handle it.

funny i cant eat wheat or dairy but the spicier the better.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words -- Camorones Diabolo. Gary likes spicy food and ordered this dish at a Mexican restaurant somewhere I don't remember but probably on the way back from a race somewhere. He got the eyebrow treatment and was delivered a big plate of shrimps with green sauce. Looks harmless enough. I don't know how many paper napkins he went through blowing his nose, but he must have drunk 4 big glasses of tea. I think he found his limit for spicy. We had to stop like every 15 minutes on the drive back for bathroom breaks. It was really funny.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home