[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: My Birthday Suit - UPDATED!

Friday, May 09, 2008

My Birthday Suit - UPDATED!

With Greg still on the east coast, I have a lot of time on my hands. Favourite activities seem to be photographing the cat, talking to the cat, doing Sudoku puzzles (yes I know they are so 2005) and planning my Birthday which is 4 months from this past Wednesday.

When I registered for the LA Triathlon which is the same day as my 30th birthday, I was dismayed to see that the entry form didn't have any of those nosy questions that I typically leave blank because I think they are annoying - "is this your first tri", "are you any good and do you have any notable results", "can the announcer say anything interesting about you", etc. That would have been the perfect opportunity to tell them that race day is my birthday and I'd really like to hear them announce that at the race. Multiple times. But no, I had no means of making such a request.

So I'll have to inform everyone in LA myself that it's my birthday.

What better way than to wear a super cool custom-designed birthday suit?! Here's what I have come up with so far:


I am open to suggestions. Keeping in mind that the main objectives here are 1. to tell everyone in sight that it's my birthday and 2. to not look bad (i.e. to look good).

White might not be the best color choice, I am not sure. Since it's basically a one-off race suit though I don't need to worry too much about it getting stained or dirty. I did a version in Black but it looked a little severe. I also did one with the big lettering in Blue but that one failed in objective #1 (not too easy to read).

(Side note: Why doesn't splish have a balloon graphic?!!? Or customizable graphics??!)

What do you all think?

UPDATE:

O.K. thank you to everyone who pointed out how, um, appropriate white would be as a birthday suit. Or inappropriate as a race suit! I'm not interested in being see-through on my big day, so I redid the colors. Here is the latest version:

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Wonder said...

OMIGOD, Courtenay,
This is the coolest idea! I think you should definitely do IT!!!!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

That suit totally makes your butt look big.

I think you need more pink. You could also have birthday stickers made for you bike, and pick up a birthday hat in T2. Maybe you can get Greg to wear a birthday hat for the run as well.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Gilby said...

Very cool idea! I would not wear white because I'm a prude, but the transparent-when-wet effect of white would fit the birthday suit theme. If that is not your MO, maybe a darker pink background with the "happy birthday to me" just a few gradients lighter--sort of a watermark effect (the Ridley Factory CX team did this on their kits and it looked awesome).

Either way, great idea! And I think you should stick a note about your birthday in with your registration anyhow.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get this whole drawing-attention-to-yourself birthday thing. When everybody sings "Happy Birthday" to me it's probably the most excruciating :30 of the year for me. And then that one birthday when everybody sang for me and I was wearing only a soaked, white/see-through bathing suit, that was only slightly better.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Little Lion said...

I like the blue one!

I love Splish, they are my suit sponsor this year... they really rock!!! Tell them Alisha says hi :o) hehehe

11:52 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I like the pink better. I thought white suits only went see-through after a couple of wearings, which you wouldn't have to worry about for this one. I think I'm getting a white suit from k-swiss soon, which will be interesting if it shows off as much as you all seem to think.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

well i did notice that mr. lieto did not race in his sparkly white suit the other day.

on the other hand there are white cycling kits out there, but they tend to be on those world-champion types that get ten hundred kits a year anyway.

are you getting "a" kit or multiple kits? i think they are pretty hot, however i know that chris is like 20 shades darker than you. are you going to mystic tan before your first race in the white kit?

p.s. greg this is why 4 months in advance is NOT too far ahead to plan.

p.p.s. your attitude towards birthdays is also why you failed miserably at my 29th last year.

p.p.p.s. are you trying to say you didn't like my singing!?!?!?!?!?

2:45 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

You know you are a birthday die-hard when you point it out to people when a clock readsyour birthdate--as in, 9:07--"Hey, look at that--it's my birthday!" Courtenay--you don't have a birthday--you have a birth MONTH--celebrate as much as possible!!!

Love the suit! Get as many accessories as possible. Someone HAS to tell the announcer folks before you finish!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

I'm not sure why the birthday is a big deal - though I'm probably the only other person in the world (you're the other one) who starts talking about their birthday 2-3 months out. The only problem is that according to the USAT, you're already 30 because that's your racing age on 12/31/08. If Greg really loved you, he'd arrange for a dozen balloons or more to be waiting for you in T1/T2 - helpful and yet festive. Addtionally, your bike rack should be decorated with streamers and possibly a banner exclaiming the purpose of these decorations.

With all of that said, there's nothing wrong with a see through tri-suit so long as it's not making you uncomfortable and that you're not a walking (or running)NC-17 rated athlete. After all, the ZteaM kit I designed is see through when wet (and sort of in the dry) - so I've got some experience there. I don't worry because anyone who sees it will soon be behind me (ok, a few might get by).

Lastly, wear what you dig. Hot pink would be MUCH cooler.

I hope Ben notices Greg's weak spot and sings happy birthday during the entire bike and run leg of Alcatraz.

If you were here (Tiburon) for your birthday I bet we could get Piper to whack you with a balloon.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Cool, love the blue suit. When in doubt have Mel design your suit. She designed my Splish ones that I race in. But I think you don't need any help, yours look great! I am so glad you are converting to wearing a swimsuit to race in like me ;-) YAY!

XO,
E

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loren I too like to plan my birthdays well in advance. I think it had to do with determining if anyone would be around at xmas time for a party.

I wish I could display my birthday in a race, sadly it would be a very cold race or very far away since December isn't the ideal racing month.

What about half-birthdays??

I am not a fan of pink, but it is your birthday if you want a white and hott pink suit that is excusable for one day only sooo ROCK IT!!!!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Chris Westall said...

Looks like you've chosen two paths for your suit...
1: Super high on the waist a-la 1982
2: Big Granny Style bottoms

If these are truly your options... I'm voting 1982 style.

I also think that placement of a cupcake w/ some candles would be good.

Oh... I showed my wife. She just said "More pictures of the cat". She's a crazy cat lady.

:-)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home