[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: A Note About Swimming

Friday, May 09, 2008

A Note About Swimming

My plans to unveil a wicked fast swimmer (me) next weekend are already feeling a bit foiled. The Carson pool has a big swim meet this weekend, so no long course at all till next weekend. They actually said Monday was a "maybe" but I have learned not to count on "maybe" under any circumstances, be they swimming or can-I-get-a-puppy or otherwise.

I also called the Arundel Swim Center, a big 50-meter facility about 15 minutes from my mom's house in Maryland, where I'll be next week. "Long course?" the guy sounded way too confused to be a real live employee but he was indeed a real live employee. "You mean like 50 meters? No we don't never do that. We got diving boards and stuff all in the way." Why would you build a 50 meter pool but have it permanently set up short course? Is there a real reason or is it just a mixture of redneckness, laziness, and low demand?

I even looked into swimming here at my [sort of] beloved lake. Current Lake Tahoe water temperature is in the mid to upper 40's, depending on where you are. That's a bit cold for me in the context of a quality workout.

Oh well. I can still get in a decent short course workout. I just like the long course for longer sets - for one thing I am much less likely to lose count and get confused! (This is yet another reason to be permanently mad at my mom for not putting me into a swim team program as a child. Swim team kids know how to do long sets.)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lose count all the time!! i recently switched from counting in increments of 50's to just counting the full laps, like 1-2-3-4 ect... I still lose count. I wish I had someone counting for me like they do in swim meets.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Hey! I swam at Arundel Swim Center the summer I was expecting Mary Catherine! (that can't have been 13 years ago!) I really liked it--but I was just swimming for relaxed exercise--not major tri-big-wig like you. . .

I always counted in groups of ten, and did a rhythm/chant thing with the length I was on. As I recall I did loose count. . .

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you have to use the clock if your losing count, just look at it into or out of your turn.
-scott

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home