[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: HAHAHAHA

Monday, August 20, 2007

HAHAHAHA

Greg and I went for a ride/scouting mission in Fairfax this weekend.

The plan was to do 3+ hours at "half ironman pace", which of course I do not know yet from experience, but it didn't really matter because I was just supposed to sit on Greg's wheel and pedal pedal pedal.

We had a great first two hours, gorgeous scenery, perfect weather, right on our target wattage zones, etc. Then at 2:11 we experienced a drastic drop-off in pace at the front of our little two-bike train. Drastic. Energy level dipped down to sub-zero in less than two seconds.

Thankfully I am an over-packer in every sense of the word, and had brought 7 gels plus one big gel flask, so I had some sugar to spare for my poor bonking boyfriend. Two gels didn't really do the trick though, so I made us pull over at the [OVERPRICED] Nicasio general store.

I bought a big gatorade and a Nutz over Chocolate Luna bar, thinking we could share.

Um.

Plan changed when I got outside and had to feed him the Luna bar and the gatorade myself. Fierce Melon isn't my favourite flavor anyway, plus I still had 2 more gels. I dumped as many of the calories into Greg as I could, hoping we could just limp back to the car together rather than doing some recipe-for-disaster you-go-get-the-car routine.

Anyway all you athletes out there surely know this story - crawling along at barely 10 miles an hour, every bump or crack in the road feeling like a mountain or a chasm and elliciting some form of yelp or groan, every second on sunny pavement feeling like an eternity in hell, the chipper un-bonking friend (who in this case was Yours Truly) wondering which is more helpful, chipperness or quietness, etc etc etc. Neither fun nor funny.


BUT HERE IS THE FUNNY PART, which happened after we got off our bikes.

Me: So, you were probably undernourished, hence the bonk, right?

Greg: Yeah. That was it.

Me: What did you bring with you to eat?

Greg: Two water bottles with mix, and 5 prunes.

Me: What else?

Greg: That was it.

Me: What?!?!?!?!?!?! 5 prunes for a hard 3 hour ride?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! You are joking!

Greg: No... I am serious. I forgot other food and I wasn't hungry when we started and I guess I just wasn't thinking.

Me: HAHAHAHA! Prunes! Ha!

Greg: -

Me: O.K. now we are officially even for the time that I drank a bottle of endurox and two glasses of chocolate milk right before we went running.

Greg: Ha! That was hilarious.


(unecessary and obvious side note: the endurox/choc. milk incident was not pretty.)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

drinking chocolate milk before a run is totally something i might do.

i would never take 5 prunes on a ride though. even if it was only 30 minutes long.

poor greg. we've all been there.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Garrett Lau said...

I normally don't eat anything at all on a 3-hour ride, although I probably don't ride as fast as you.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

this is true, people definitely have different fuel requirements.

for greg, though, fuel requirements are HIGH. 2 pieces of toast, 3 eggs, half an avocado, a bowl of oatmeal, a second bowl of oatmeal, 2 peanut butter and jelly tortillas... this all before 1 p.m. usually!

but p.s. how can you go for that long without eating?!?! omg i would faint.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Team TWENTY12 said...

scouting as in are you moving to fairfax!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Garrett Lau said...

I don't know why, but I just don't get hungry or feel faint. On weekdays, I only eat two meals and no snacks. On weekends, I have a small breakfast before riding. Supposedly, it's better to eat small amounts frequently, but that's not what I do.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

lucky!

and yes, we are indeed plotting a move... :)

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home