[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Me Me Me

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Me Me Me

Blogging about broadly interesting topics (current events, for example) sure sets my comments section on fire. I think I like it. Expect synopses of New Yorker articles in the future.

In the meantime, however, I am going to brag about the fact that I won my duathlon race yesterday!

I had planned on winning. Which is presumptuous to say, considering the last time I did a running race was 7 years ago, but I planned on winning. I also dragged along my resident multi-sport professional (I am talking about Greg) for advice, cheerleading, photographing, etc. And yes, Lisa, he was the recipient of lots of "I'm hungry! What should I do!"'s...

The format was 3 mile run - 16 mile bike - 3 mile run. I felt great and I had a blast in all three legs. Side bonus: I didn't totally botch my transitions... I remembered to tie my shoes and put on/take off my helmet and everything! I started the race at the front and actually never saw another woman the entire time, so I was pretty much racing the men. My time was 1:27 and a little bit, almost 3 minutes faster than my goal. They haven't posted split times but I was somewhere in the range of 20:30, 42:10, and 20:00 for each leg, with a little over a couple minutes in each transition, and a couple of 6:20 miles. Not bad for my first effort, something to be proud of and something to improve upon.

Additionally I plan to improve upon my appearance when on the podium. I would like to upgrade from "goof" to "whoa look at that totally awesome gorgeous racer". Token Courtenay-as-Goof photo:


Anyway, this was just to get my feet wet (not literally) and see how I like multisport racing. I like it so far! So, next up on my multisport calendar is the Cancun 70.3, where I will get a whole lot more than just my feet wet...

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

Congrats!
Your post makes me miss triathlon. I can't think of a better place than Cancun to do your first 1/2 IM. No wetsuit to take off...nice!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Super Rookie said...

you need to get a new pair of shoes.

do you mow the grass in those things?

9:18 PM  
Blogger fuji rider said...

that is fking awesome! way to go!!

9:56 PM  
Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

I may get my ankle checked out to see if I can do anything about running again......

That looked like fun...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Allison and Mark: Thanks!!

Andy: You totally should. I actually took 6 years off of running, because of stress fractures I thought I would never be able to run again, but I was wrong. Funny how attention to training methods and recovery can enable one's body to do stuff... And yeah it was totally fun.

Tim: FYI I live in an APARTMENT and we don't have GRASS to cut. FURTHER FYI I train on TRAILS so my shoes get DIRTY. ADDITIONAL FURTHER FYI the runs were on DUSTY DIRT ROADS and that photo was at the VERY END of the RACE so my shoes were FURTHERLY FILTHY.

They are only like a month old.

But yeah they are pretty haggard looking, despite being structurally sound.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your comments section is on fire again!

6:20 miles. Shit. You're like, fast and stuff.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Congratulations court!! That is so awesome!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

you, you, you! I would've expected nothing less! congratulations. and now off to Cancun? have you been secretly training for tri all season?

1:21 PM  
Blogger achilles3 said...

THAT'S AWESOME! Congrats!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Totally cool! Congrats on a great race! Don't go switching disciplines next season.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go SIS!!!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home