[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Blind Leading the Blind

Monday, October 08, 2007

Blind Leading the Blind

I spent the weekend in Incline with Greg (I am officially still an Oakland resident, until next week anyway), getting a little taste of cool things to come... awesome pool, great running trails, lake views, bear signs (how exciting!), and cool-to-cold temps.

Regarding that last item: good thing we have a fireplace!

However, I have spent a lifetime avoiding fire-building duty at my mom's. No tactic is too silly or too pathetic for me - claiming a mortal fear of fire (can't tend the fire from 10 feet away), displaying blatant stupidity (oh you mean if I pile up ten logs at a time and try to use one match to light a log it won't work [innocent face]?), using calm reasoning (well, considering that I just vacuumed and did the dishes and did a lot of cleaning, it would be silly for me to get all ashy and dirty at the fire place)(hahaha vacuuming and dishes?), and flat out whining (but PLEASE why can't someone ELSE do it I HATE fires they are GROSS!).

But I succeeded.

Fires are officially the realm of my brother/mom/sometimes sister/any male guest who happens to be at our house.

Yet somehow, I was the one teaching Greg to build fires this weekend. Making little newspaper torches, checking the flue, artfully arranging kindling, getting on my hands and knees to coax and blow the little fire into roaring, and then sitting back and gazing at my handiwork. I made a Fire!!

Don't tell my mom though, I don't want fire duty at Christmas....

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home