[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Back on the Wagon

Monday, November 19, 2007

Back on the Wagon

After an interminable week of no training, I broke down this morning and went for a swim. It felt great to be back in the water, although I am somehow already slower than I was before Silverman... ah well I have time to get back up to speed! I am going to start my weightlifting program tomorrow, assuming I can find some record of what I did last year embedded in my email. I spent forever looking for the notebook where I wrote everything down, but apparently I threw it out in one of my all-too-frequent-and-MADDENLY-NONSENSICAL-AND-HAPHAZARD cleaning frenzies.

God.

Separate topic: Yesterday, at the height of my no-workout boredom and inspired by all the Real Housewives of Orange County "pampering" I have been seeing on TV, I trotted off to the Lake Tahoe Hyatt's Stillwater Spa, armed with a $200 gift card AND a local's discount card (good for 25% off!), thinking that I'd be able to get a full day's worth of pampering... it was actually used up after 2 hours but it was a pretty nice two hours. I got a massage (nice but definitely inferior to JD's massages) and then a facial (a first for me - it was awesome! But it did remind me of high school and all those cucumber/avocado/peach whatever masks we smeared all over ourselves to actually disastrous affects, although the cucumber one was super fun because it peeled off like a big patch of elmer's glue).

I don't think I could go back though. For one thing, I wouldn't ask for another gift of a spa treatment there, I find the bang-for-the-buck factor to be severely lacking. And for another thing, the excessive "you deserve it!" pampering feels way too ridiculous and indicative of what really bugs me about our society today. Everyone is special, everyone is a princess, everyone deserves to have all kinds of money and products and rose-smelling crap slathered all over them, and the slathering is totally essential to being beautiful. Major groan.

Apocalyptic whining aside: man the facial was nice!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger achilles3 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:50 PM  
Blogger achilles3 said...

a fair balance is needed but I don't think its too much about deserving anything as much as it is about allowing yourself to do what you like. what you genuinely enjoy free of any sort of guilt.

i think if you like facials then rock on and enjoy life!

we only get one ;-)

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't agree more! Our society has gone soft. Can you imagine our grandmothers doing such things. All this pampering and study after study says happiness continues to decline.

Now I'll take my gerital and get back to my miserable job so I can buy more stuff to call more attention to me.

Peace

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home