[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Valentine's with the Girls!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's with the Girls!

Well our internet was out for the afternoon here at Team VAC headquarters and it took a few bottles of wine and a dip in the hot tub to recall that we could actually reset it and get it up and running again...

Today was our 80 mile "flat ride", which in Huntress-speak basically means constant rollers with a couple of 10 minute climbs and maybe a millimeter or two of flatness just to make the label work o.k. Having moved away from NorCal, I now see that the NorCal definition of "flat" is decidedly wrong. Today was way harder than yesterday's "hilly" route! But it was actually a gorgeous ride, we headed out from Healdsburg through Guerneville (start point of Vineman 70.3 and incidentally we were on some of the same roads as the bike course, pothole central, which was a good test for the new bikes and parts) to the coast, then south to Coleman Valley road, through Occidental, and back home to Healdsburg. All 12 of us all together the whole time, I was suffering behind all these fit girls but I stuck with it and I feel my legs coming around already. Even better, my I've Been On The Trainer All Winter And Haven't Group Ridden Since October bike-handling skills are slowly slowly improving to like a Cat 4 level.

Choice moments, not necessarily related to Valentine's:

-10 of us waiting at the top of Coleman Valley, freezing and windblown and lying on the asphalt to try to keep warm, waiting for a certain someone to finish a top secret art project for a certain someone, to be blogged about in the future.

-my decrepit yet faithful old camera finally pooped out for good it seems, whilst documenting above project - Fuji FinePix as a replacement?!

-Sharon and I sung to ourselves for the last hour. We are not very good. Taitt was like "you'll find a note somewhere, keep trying!" as she scuttled off to the back, away from us!

-Leah (leah goldstein, super climber and former world-champ kick boxer and the list goes on)(she's great), anyhow she likes to eat bananas on the rides and throw the peels to the grass and she was not a world-champ banana thrower, today she hit Nicole twice!

-We saw two recreational cyclists on the side of the road studying a map. "Are you guys LOST?!" says Lisa the Huntress. Followed by Katie: "Well don't ask Lisa for help!" The poor guys were probably wondering why 12 smurfs were going 30 miles per hour on bikes and laughing at them, but we were just laughing at Lisa.

-We got Huntress and her husband John a gift certificate to Victoria's Secret for Valentine's day. "John'll tell me to get flannel stuff!" she said, prior to relating the fun and excitement of a Victoria's Secret shopping excursion to the fun and excitement of some gourmet grocery store on the east coast?!!?


Anyway so yeah my camera broke, unfortch that means no pics for a little while unless I can borrow some from my teammates, although the flip side is I won't be lugging the thing up the hills! I will so be on the front now! But here's one I took of our Huntress the other night, in her directorial fuzzy chair:

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Garrett Lau said...

Bananas - Interesting. :-)

I see that Martina has revealed the secret art project in her blog.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a bunch of cute cyclist girls crowded into a hot tub WITH wine included...interesting.

Meanwhile I'm home by myself with a dwindling cookie supply...Why again am I not there?

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home