[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: The Smiling Trick

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Smiling Trick



I have started getting weird looks at the gym because I tend to smile at no one whilst sweating and huffing and puffing. I got the idea from Chris Horner, who has a permanent smile on his face even while doing something insanely hard, like attacking the Manayunk Wall from bottom to top on mile 100 or something of the 2004 race at Philly. He's one of my favourite cyclists to watch, super gutsy and talented. And always smiling. I also remember seeing him win at the 2003 San Francisco Grand Prix, the event that was solely responsible for the inception of my bike racing athletic career.


Sometimes I am not the most positive person. Shocking revelation, I know, because I totally come off as Pollyanna on the blog, but really I know I am sometimes a half-empty. So the smiling trick didn't come naturally to me, but I am working on making it a habit. For example today, my umpteenth run in a row on the treadmill due to the weather, stuck with Fox News on the gym TVs because this is Incline, tired from two hard weeks, tons of kids running around for some seemingly nonsensical elementary school field trip to the local workout facilities (??!?! and they were unsupervised, one little 9 year old got on a treadmill and jacked the speed up to like 8.5 and was hanging on to the arm handles for dear life before a gym staffer came and turned it off), anyhow I had a smile on my face for the whole 80 minutes and I had a great workout.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Smiling is a good thing. If you can smile during everything you do, people notice. Plus, its better then having a pensive sour puss.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Oh this is great! Chris Horner is a cutie! And actually - he reminds me of the great Natascha Badman, Queen of Kona - for her beautiful grin while racing. Great perspective...

5:53 AM  
Blogger Scott Nygaard said...

Seeing Horner win at the SFGP probably had something to with Joey's bike-racing career too. We were both in awe as he flew up Taylor Street on that last lap. And Joey still thinks that an hour or so of hill sprints is a fun thing to do after school.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

how cool! i wish that race still existed. maybe chris will be at philly this year, if he is i will totally be there, he is my favourite to watch.

i hope joey's doing well, tell him hi for me!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smiling while racing rocks. Always be sure to be smiling when you pass someone.

:)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home