[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Smashed

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Smashed

We just got back from a four hour ride, the weather was so gorgeous and so was the route! We did the Geysers ride, starting from Healdsburg riding up to Cloverdale and then over the climb that way. I brought my camera along expecting to get some Old Faithful-style photo ops but we didn't see a single geyser! So why's it called the Geyser Ride?

The only other time I did this ride was 3 years ago, when I was a Cat. 3 racer getting ready for my second racing season. For that ride, I was under strict orders by my coach to stay under a low heart rate ceiling (impossible to do on the long 12-15% climb), and I was also about 30 lbs heavier than I am now (yet I still thought I was a climber for some strange reason), plus it was cold and drizzly, so I didn't really notice that there were no geysers. Today's experience was totally different, in a great way, but no geysers?!

I did get a shot at the base of the real climb, the other girls stopped for a pee break and I posed myself by this cool bridge with my camera unintentionally on some wacky-ass setting:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tuffy said...

Are those the Rudys you found at Stillwater a few years back?

12:19 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

you have such a good memory! i had completely forgotten about that!

no these are new team-issue ones, which i like because there's no plastic in my peripheral vision. although i already scratched the lenses, dropped them on asphalt as soon as i took them out of the case... typical!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

why don't I remember you 30 pounds heavier? where did you put it all?

10:52 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

oh man when i started racing i was a good healthy 150 lbs or thereabouts. it took a few years for it to come off. and THANKFULLY when my hard drive died i lost all digital photo evidence of my chunky look!!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home