[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Meet Thor

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Meet Thor

I got a new fish today!


See isn't she great! A bamboo shark.

Actually this is not the fish I came home with, I just like watching it move around its tank. What really happened is I traded in Stupidhead ("Wow this is one big healthy fish!" said the fish store guy) for a baby Black Moor that's about 1/4 the size of her traded-in predecessor. So far everyone is happy, including Stupidhead who now has a nice big tank to swim in with approx. 15 littler fish to bully.

Meet Thor:
Isn't she cute! And out of 41 attempts, here is my best shot of all 3 fish:

I totally love the fish store. I love watching the fish swim, and seeing these huge fantastic setups with like 100 gallons of water and 10-inch long goldfish! And sharks! And the baby clownfish! And I made Greg drive all the way home from Reno so Thor and I could cuddle. Now I am just sitting by the fish tank, watching their little fins and their little mouths and their little waddling bodies. Watching fish swim is supposed to be good for your blood pressure. I am glad my little hobby is good for my health.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marit C-L said...

So long Stupidhead!

Love the name Thor... hurrah!

AND THE SHARK! I wish you could see the grin on my face... I LOVE sharks (but as you probably know, am secretly terrified of them). Nothing says "fierce" like a pet shark. :)

Love your fish, though. Does your kitty ever try to attack/eat them???

10:12 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

kitty would last approximately 2 seconds in the wild, he has no concept that wiggling little things could be lunch! so no, he has less than zero interest in the fish (but he loves canned tuna).

and same here on the sharks - on animal planet's steve corwin experience yesterday there was a bit on great white sharks! the bamboo shark at the store was so cool, they look so soft and almost cuddly, it's weird.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Ha ha ha - before your next ocean/salt waterswim, make sure you stay away from Animal Planet. Namely "Shark Week". I made the awful mistake of watching a year ago, and nearly wet my pants when I saw "Attack in the Panhandle."

Gulp. That's where I live...

I've seen a total of 2 sharks before races (Clearwater and one off of Panama City Beach), and then a baby shark that a fisherman was about to throw back in NC. We got to pet it - it was so cute!

But yeah, I think I like them more in the petstore.

Nate (the other half) loves your and Greg's fish and kitty. Is Thor a Japanese Fighting Fish?... Notso good with my ichthyology (or whatever that is... the study of fish!)

You should pain a picture in tribute of Stupidhead!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

thor is a girl?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

marit i have never seen a real live wild shark! lucky! i actually didn't even make it to the monterey aquarium in time to see the great white shark, but it's like $30 to get into that place...

thor is a black moor, which is a variety of goldfish. sweetie is a red-capped oranda, and pipsqueak is just your basic goldfish. japanese fighting fish are another thing entirely, they are commonly called bettas and i LOVE them. i have had a couple in the past. they actually have teeth which is pretty cool. i had mine in tanks with other kinds of fish (for example a red and black shark!), but only ever one betta at a time. one nice thing about bettas is it's really easy to tell if the fish is a he or a she - the boys have long flowy tails and, if they are healthy anyway, bright beautiful colors. the girls have much smaller tails and they are usually not as bright, but there are still some pretty colored girls out there.

goldfish on the other hand are almost impossible to sex. so i have arbitrarily decided that sweetie's a girl, pipsqueak is a boy, and thor is a girl. if you saw them in real life you might agree, but yeah it's kinda arbitrary!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home