[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Ignorance is Bliss

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ignorance is Bliss

A platitude, yes, but it's one I believe is true.

For example, grocery shopping can be difficult and depressing when you are an athlete practiced at reading labels. Sooo many food items have forbidden ingredients... partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame... Now I even have to watch out for sucrose because of my teeth! So when I am in the grocery store I often wish I could go back to when all I thought was important was the fat gram and calorie count. Or better yet, to when I was a kid and anything edible was fine with me. Then maybe I wouldn't leave in empty-handed frustration so often.

Why am I talking about this? Well, today I decided to hang my winter-training equipped TIME on a bike scale.



Look closely at the dial on my 16.5-lb race-weight machine...



24 pounds!! Apparently I wasn't actually joking when I said my winter plan was to ride a 25 lb bike for hours and hours! I think I liked it better when I thought I was exaggerating, and I was lugging maybe 18 lbs up Mt. Diablo, Morgan Territory, etc. I know that water bottles add at least a pound each when full, the hard-core tires definitely add some weight, as do the power tap hub, the training wheels, and the flat kit... but sheesh! I can't wait for the Reynolds race wheels to get here!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Court!

I've gotta get you a good whole foods cookbook! When all you buy is fresh veggies, whole grains, dried legumes and honey or maple syrup you don't have to worry about those silly lables. Processed foods are Satan Spawn! Stay away! Weston A Price foundation.org has some great nutritional info--esp about healthy fats--though I guess you don't eat much fat at all!

Love YA!
Allison

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home