[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Lazy

Friday, March 23, 2007

Lazy

We just did the infamous Oak Glenn stage of the Redlands Classic.

It was pretty awesome. Really awesome.

I am lying in bed at 4:30 in the afternoon trying to regain my usual spunky chattiness but it's taking me a while.

So, no pdf's of the stage profile or statistics of climbing and miles and watts and kilojoules with which to impress you. Acquiring such details requires energy that I simply don't have.

But, the gist:

-our own Martina P. took the second of two intermediate sprints!

-no crashes (a FIRST for this NRC season)!

-gorgeous views of the San Bernadino mountains

-rumor has it that there is a new oh-my-god-what-is-she-DOING-peeing-method racer in the women's peloton...

-Webcor's young talent Mara Abbott, the current National Under-23 women's road race champion, took the mountain-top stage win over some serious international heavy-hitters. Way to go. That made a lot of women happy, even people who aren't her teammates, because she is a great racer and a rising talent. Interestingly, at the CVC road race a few weeks ago, Mara was in the 7-person breakaway, but Webcor's director didn't believe in her and put the rest of the team on the front of the field to chase the break down and also they had Mara drop out of the break to help. Tina Pic wound up winning the stage after the break was caught with 1 mile to go. So, good job today Mara!

-despite my businesslike I'm-tired tone, I had a great time in today's race and I can safely say that was my best road race ever. I felt confident and comfortable the whole time pretty much, I was climbing better than I think I ever have, I helped my teammates on (gasp!) multiple occasions, and crossed the line with Ina Teutenberg, her teammate Anke, Webcor's Helen Kelly and Laura Yoisten, Kirsten Robbins, and a few others. Not bad, not bad at all. Especially for a girl who spent a lot of last year off the back and/or on the sidelines...

O.K., back to serious laziness. Sorry for the subdued post but if I were all bubbly then I'd be worried that I didn't give the race everything I had.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

yay! congratulations to you and Martina!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the record. at cvc, webcor was trying to get mara a stage win and keep the break within a reasonable time gap for christine, not catch the break. when alison powers was dropped from the break colavita chased to bring the break back. mara had tried to attack out of the break unsuccessfully. she did not come back to help chase but was brought back by colavita with the rest of the break. they are not heartless monsters, that webcor team. nice post and good work at redlands.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

that makes sense. thanks for setting me straight!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home