[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Good Old Fashioned Cell Phone

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Good Old Fashioned Cell Phone

Yesterday, after dealing with one crapassy phone that completely crapped out and one that only let me hear 75% of what people said, I decided it was time to suck it up and sign on for another 2 years with Cingular in exchange for a "reasonable" price on a new phone.

I wanted something that would:
a. work
b. take pictures
c. work
d. be able to have email during periods of time when I am at my mom's, where the only internet is dial-up through 85-year-old phone lines
e. work
f. not be a flip phone
g. work

I got online to do some research but that was taking way too long, so I solicited advice from various guy friends. Guys know a lot about technology, right? So they should be able to point me in the right wireless device direction.


Me: So I need to get a new phone. What should I get?
Mack: I love my Treo. You should totally get one.
Me: Does it take good photos? I want a camera phone.
Mack: They are OK, not the greatest.
Me: Can I take photos and post them on my blog?
Mack: It's kinda slow with the internet thing.
Me: Oh. It doesn't sound like it's what I want. I really want a camera phone and something with email but not something huge and I don't need all those dumb PDA features.
Mack: Well you should totally get a Treo. It's really cool and you can organize everything in it and it's the best PDA. You should get one.
Me: Um were you listening? I don't need a PDA!!

Me: So I need to get a new phone. What should I get?
Brian the IT Guy: The Blackberry Pearl is awesome. You should totally get one.
Me: Does it take good photos? How many megapixels?
Brian: They are OK. 1.3 megapixels.
Me: Oh. And isn't that the one with the little trackball thing? I would break it for sure.
Brian: So what. It's the coolest PDA out there. You should definitely get one.
Me: But I don't need a PDA. I need a camera phone.
Brian: Yeah but the Pearl is the coolest. You should get one.
Me: -groan-

Me: So I need to get a new phone. What should I get?
Devon: You should get an iPhone!
Me: Um, it's not out till June and it doesn't have a camera. AND it's huge.
Devon: So what! That thing is sick! Your phone you have now works, just wait till June!
Me: You were the one who said you couldn't hear a word I was saying and you had to call me on my land line. My phone doesn't work. I need a new one. And I don't need an iPod in my phone, I already have an iPod! And I want a camera phone!
Devon: I still think you should wait for the iPhone.
Me: -GROAN-

Everyone was trying to live vicariously through me... thankfully, the Cingular sales guy was not.

Me: So, I need a new phone, and I have kinda narrowed it down to the Blackberry Pearl and the Sony Ericcson w810i. The Pearl camera has a flash but I am worried that it's more device than I need.
Salesguy: Will you be needing the organizer and outlook and other microsoft features?
Me: I really just want a cameraphone that can also do email.
Salesguy: Then you should get the Sony. You don't need a PDA. And the Sony camera is 2 megapixels.
Me: Will you marry me?

Just kidding, just kidding, he was totally not my type, but I really appreciated the fact that he did not foist his techdorkness on me.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

bwaahahaaahaa!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"foist his technodorkness on me" almost sounds a little dirty.

or maybe it's just me.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Tuffy said...

Smithers is your tech-geek hookup, even if he's not providing your bikes/pedals/shoes anymore.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

omg
i totally should have asked him! what was i thinking! i was even envisioning little "posted from my treo" signs on my blog like he has on his!

subconsciously i knew i have no business carting around an expensive mini-computer in my jersey pockets and bottomless purse/jewelry holder/pharmacy/catchall. i am tough on my stuff.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but you should get the Treo 650. It's DA BOMB. Plus, having a calendar, contacts, email, etc. is so great. Look how organized I am????

Your director, Lisa

1:40 PM  
Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

Sitting in a meeting today.....

-receiving and responding to work email with outlook.
-opening up PDF's for the meeting from the said email.
-continuous updates from cycling news on Georgia.
-scanning gmail for my personal daily trash.
-played bubble breaker when I ran out of other things to do since paying attention wasn't one of them.
-IM'd with both AOL and YIM usernames.

While on the road I can get directions while driving, check on hotel reservations, make hotel reservations, check results between stages while laying in bed, check start times when I forget to bring everything I printed out on Friday at work and most importantly I can read your blog......

The Treo 700w is the reason that I don't bring my work laptop home any longer. And you can post pics onto you blog from it, you just have to be creative like BJM.....

I would have gone with the motorola in your shoes but I am not sure if cingular offers it. The samsung is the same as the iPhone but yes it is big in the jersey pocket.


-a

2:37 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I'm Cingular and I just got the Motorola Razr (pink, of course). I don't really care about a camera phone (it's got one) -- could never figure out what to do with the photos. But I wanted to integrate my iCal calendar. Since I pay for it (not some employer), I can't afford to do email and internet even though it will. And I wanted to be able to hear phone conversations again. I like it. It's small, pink, and has pretty ringtones.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI,

If it ever actually exists, the iPhone is supposed to have a 2.0 megapixel camera in it.

Yes. I am a nerd.

3:20 PM  
Blogger EB said...

I am thisclose to going into the verizon store & having them transfer all my info from my current phone to my old phone -- Sea Otter honest to god killed it. I don't know why I switched from the bulletproof old phone anyway.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home