[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Another Charlie Update

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Another Charlie Update


So, kitty is hanging in there and getting a bit better. A urinary tract/bladder infection was actually not the problem (go Court for improper diagnosis yet again! There is a reason I didn't go to vet school!)- instead, he had and still has a buildup of crystallized minerals that his kidneys excreeted from his food. The crystals are called struvites and they can be really problematic for indoor male cats like Charlie. Left unattended, the struvites can build up to the point of blocking the urethra, and from that point it's a very quick descent for the cat - unable to eliminate toxins by urinating, his body is basically poisoned from within.

Thankfully I got my head on straight about Charlie's symptoms soon enough to get him to the vet before he got to the point of blockage. We switched him to a prescription diet that does not cause crystal buildup, and also put him on antibiotics (mostly for the sneezing side-effect he's experiencing, since the peeing thing isn't an infection I am guessing antibiotics won't affect that end of the cat?). Now it's a matter of waiting as his digestive system processes the rest of the struvites. He's still pretty uncomfortable and I feel awful for him, but the good news is it's getting better and he likes the new food.

Side note: I am once again incredibly grateful that he hates Out Side. Yesterday we got back from the vet and I wanted to lazy-man's-load my way up to the apartment. I.e. purse, new cat food, waterbottle, jacket, and cell phone held to ear in one hand, cat in cardboard cat carrier in the other hand... Bottom falls out of cardboard cat carrier, kitty is sitting stunned in the middle of the parking lot and DOESN'T MOVE, I manage to hang up on my friend and scoop up kitty and carry 1 wide-eyed scaredy-cat and all my other crap upstairs. Still all in one load!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Cute kitty. I hope Charlie is back to normal soon.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Hope Charlie gets better quick! Sorry that he's not feeling well ;-(

E

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

oh no! sorry to hear Charlie's not well. but girl! you dropped your sick kitty. next time take two trips, okay?

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...poor Charlie. Give him a big kiss for me. PS, classic scary move of the weekend for me....at the Oakland airport at 4:30AM for a 6AM flight to baltimore: after pushing all my bags thru the scanner, complete with computer in separate bin (of course), the bin comes out of the scanner and hits the other bin full of my jacket, purse, shoes (ugh...security), then proceeds to FALL TO THE GROUND!! Thank god it's a dell...the computer survived the crash...WHEW!! Oh...and it's 40 degrees and sunny here

Huntress

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read "The Cat Who Went to Paris" and "The Cat Who Will Live Forever" by Peter Gethers. They are both incredible books for any cat lover.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home