[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Probably For the Best

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Probably For the Best

Today was an "it's probably for the best" sort of day, for a couple of reasons. Meaning, initial freakouts were followed by slightly more mature and introspective "oh, right, phew" moments.

Reason one is fairly run-of-the-mill - today we got hit with 5 inches of wet snow and a lot of wind. The power was out at the gym, so the pool and treadmills were inaccessible for my 1 hr swim and 1 hr 20 run... Shortened to a 0 hr swim and a 30 min run outside on my new Yak Trax sneaker things. I intended to do the full run outside, but the winds were at nearly 30 mph with gusts of 60 in places, it was snowing, and while the Yak Trax definitely improved my traction, running in today's snow was like running in deep sand, so I switched over to the cleared pavement in the road, but then I felt like the functionality of my shoes was compromised by the Yak Trax, sorry for the run-on sentence about this run-of-the-mill running story but that's totally what happened. So anyhow with sore ankles, a windswept face, and cold feet, I headed home, leaving this week's long run for tomorrow. I didn't complete my planned hours for the week, but I don't mind the outcome: a little extra rest, and time to drag Greg down to the crazy looking beach and take photos! Can you believe this is Lake Tahoe? It looks like the Pacific Ocean! Maybe I should have tried to do my swim outside too...

Today I also learned that registering for a triathlon is distinctly NOT like registering for a bike race, and should not be approached lackadaisically. I never entered any bike race more than 2 or on rare occasions 3 weeks in advance, but this morning I decided to register for my intended first triathlon of the season, Oceanside 70.3, which is over 2 months away, and it's full! Freakout commenced, because my main goal for the 2008 season is to qualify for my Elite license (tri-speak for Professional, for all you non-geeks out there), and Oceanside is one of the Elite qualifiers.

I felt like such a retard, for a few minutes anyway. But it's actually definitely for the best. For one thing, with all this winter weather we are having, I don't know that I'll feel ready for a half-ironman at the end of March. For another thing, the 70.3 races are run by the Ironman Corporation. I don't really agree with the company's values or philosophies, so I am actually glad not to be giving them any of my money.

Anyhow here are the photos Greg and I snapped of each other at the windy beach during our freezing 30 second visit!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marit C-L said...

Hi Courtenay! I found your blog and really like it! Thanks for your comments the other day - you're totally right about the power v heart rate thing. Thanks for helping me to keep it in perspective. First - sorry about the weather and winds. Yuck. Second - there's a 1/2 IM in Galviston, TX on March 31st that's supposed to be pretty good. Its run by the Endor-fun Sports folks (they put on Timberman), but isn't an M-dot corporate brand event. Kind of a rarity these days, but nice all the same. Can't think of the name of it... but if you're still on the search for an early season half, you could give it a go. Have a great day and hope that you get your workouts in today!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off the subject question...

Is ValueAct racing in the Tour of California crit?

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, those photos of Lake Tahoe look a lot like a beach in Hawaii! So here's what you do...cut and paste a swimsuit shot of yourself....and tada!!!! Summer photos!!

For the question about the TOC crit, yes, the team is racing there.

Huntress

4:55 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

thanks for the suggestion marit! it looks like a cool race. i'm slightly tempted but my instinct tells me that the amended plan is for the best. oh and i thought of you today when i was on the treadmill for 80 mins... esp when i was tempted to stop but didn't!

and lisa: i was going for the "beachy" effect with the sunnies, the sun was nowhere to be seen but dammit we're at the beach so that means sunnies! i'll bring my bikini to training camp though.

and anon: i will be there too, but i will be supporting my teammates (i.e. heckling from the sidelines)

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home