[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: The Camera Won

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Camera Won

For those of you who were on the edges of your seats regarding my casual survey from a couple of weeks ago: I ordered a camera today! The regular kind, not the kind with a phone attached.

Price and functionality won out over convenience and flashiness in this debate. And I even did a little research on my own before I made the purchase! It came down to the Fuji Finepix Z100FD and the Canon Powershot SD850 IS Elph, both of which are 8 megapixel cameras and both of which retail for under $250. I went with the Fuji because it has 5x zoom vs the 4x of the Canon, it weighs 135 grams (sans battery and memory stick) vs the Canon's 185, it got better reviews for features like image stabilization and face detection that are handy for on-the-fly picture takers like me, and now Shaz and I can be twins because she has the same one. The Canon did have appealing qualities of its own though - a viewfinder AND an LCD screen (Fuji only has the screen), a true "manual" mode that allows you to set shutter speed and aperture on your own (Fuji's "manual" mode is apparently automated, which is stupid), and a better menu screen. But seriously, am I really going to stop at the side of the road and mess around with exposure settings to get the perfect photo of me and my bike and some landmark like a rock or something? Prolly not.

Anyway it should arrive in about 10 days or so, and then I will be back to posting tons of photos of kitty and the lake and my mangled pinky toe (it's worse looking now than it was then)! Get excited!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Garrett Lau said...

Congratulations on your new camera, but where did you buy it from that would take 10 days for delivery? Amazon.com has it in stock and ships from Sparks, NV.

11:18 PM  
Blogger b-luv said...

ha...i just picked up the elph ;)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

oh i didn't even think of amazon! i ordered it from adorama, i use their site to order prints and they had free shipping. i am not in a huge hurry - forecast is gray and ugly for the next week... from now on i am consulting YOU garrett prior to making any decisions like this!

and brenda, how funny about the elph! it took me a while to make my decision... i think they are both really good for the price. see you at san dimas?!?!?!?????

11:55 AM  
Blogger Garrett Lau said...

I always check Amazon first. Most of the camera gear listed on Amazon actually comes from Adorama, but their point-and-shoot cameras do not. I bought a Powershot SD1000 from Amazon in October. I received it the day after I ordered it, even with free shipping.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you made a great choice!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home