[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Tomorrow

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Greg and I and a car full of STUFF will be driving from Incline Village all the way down to San Dimas, CA. I have adamantly repeated multiple times that we are leaving first thing, no doodling around with "oh let's go do a swim first" and "let's make a big breakfast" and "i have to finish packing" and next thing you know we hit the road at noon sharp and arrive at 10 pm after multiple pit stops.

Poor Greg, I keep repeating myself and he keeps repeating "O.K., I agree with you!" himself. Poor Greg!

Also poor Greg because the original plan was for him to stay in San Dimas with me and the rest of the VAC girls, to train and watch some racing and cheer and hang out. But, when I told him it would be 6 girls plus him all in 2 rooms, and we'd maybe do his HAIR and NAILS for him, and no there's no kitchen so we'll just go out for burritos and gossip about the race, he got (understandably) a bit gun-shy and formulated Plan B. So, now he is going to spend tomorrow evening with me and the girls in S.D. and then hightail it west, to the sandy peaceful shores of Santa Monica, where he will be able to sleep and train and do boy stuff in peace without having to fend off a bunch of sports bras and hair dryers!

But, despite this removal of my own personal cheering section and moral support, I am really looking forward to the race. It will be a great opportunity to get in a bunch of intensity, while helping my teammates and enjoying my favourite type of bike racing: stage racing! I am also slightly nervous, because my triathlon training is right on track but is devoid of some of the training that's really helpful in bike racing, for example sprints and VO2 work on the bike. When I did this race a couple of years ago, Alisha Lion not only finished 3rd in the well-contested overall classification, but she also went running after every stage! I am not quite in that rockstar category - I'll probably do a run tomorrow evening, and I'll do a run after Sunday's criterium, and hopefully an easy swim or two as well over the course of the weekend. But the bike race is the priority, I'll have tons of time to get in good swimming and running workouts in lovely Santa Monica all next week (YAY 50 meter outdoor pool and YAY multitude of running venues!).

Which reminds me: I better go buy some sunscreen.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

hi, you don't know me (i promise that's not creepy) but i took loren's recommendations on people's blogs to read and i really enjoy yours and greg's. i just wanted to say 1. i've been a groupie at san dimas the last two year and it's super fun, good luck! and 2. are you really doing icebreaker? B/C i've been deciding about doing it and i want to scope out the competition ;)

anyways, good luck!

Kelly

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Girl,

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!! I wish I were getting to spend the whole week in San Diego...sigh...i hate work.

I'm sure you're gonna be a rockstar. I don't know a thing about stage racing but I'm going to read about this San Dimas race and then I'll know what you're talking about when you do a write-up about it.

Hope you guys have a great time and DRIVE SAFELY!

It cracked me up about your "leaving FIRST THING" statements - I've been saying that to myself over and over about Friday. We're driving down FIRST THING Friday morning...yes...FIRST THING...

(though I have a deadline- packet-pick-up - to make and L.A. afternoon traffic to fight, so I really have to stick with it)

Have an awesome time. Go kick some butt. Enjoy the weather!! Buy sunscreen!

:D

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no "poor Greg"! His life is just more interesting and enjoyable with you in it. There's nothing wrong with running a tight ship and making your plan known. =)

Hey, are you sure he doesn't want his hair done and nails painted?

Have a safe trip and a great race!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok just make me more jealous, I mean who wouldn't want sub-30 temps and a wind that refuses to drop below 20mph for over a week??? It is just dandy!!

Have fun and good luck. I would love a 50m outdoor pool, lord knows I need a tan.

You are doing the Columbia Tri?! That is the one in DC right? I was going to do that but by the time I found it and decided to sign-up it was sold out!?!? lame.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget to put sunscreen EVERYWHERE, hands/wrists included! ;-)

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home