[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Santa Monica - Day 4

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Santa Monica - Day 4

I'm sitting on the couch with a belly full of pizza and feet warmed by a puppy, watching the surfing movie 'Riding Giants' - even though a couple people die, this is MUCH more my style than 'No Country For Old Dumbheads', plus there is an actual soundtrack that makes me feel hip and cool because I know a lot of the songs. NCFOD is devoid of music, it's creepy.

Today was a long-ride day, I did one of my favourite loops down here, which involves riding out the Pacific Coast Highway, then up Latigo Canyon Road, rolling along a good long stretch of Mulholland Drive, and climbing out over Stunt Road. The route is pretty quiet in the middle of the week, except for the perpetually awful PCH on which I will never ever feel comfortable. God. No photos of the ride, I did bring my camera but I actually didn't even stop for food or water so that should say something about my relentless pedalling!

After the ride I headed back over to Helen's Cycles for some tweaking on my new Blue TT bike. So far, so good - I'm loving the bike and I am ESPECIALLY loving the guys at Helen's. Usually I feel like I have to "know" someone at a bike shop in order to get good treatment, but here that is totally not the case. I didn't even wear overwhelmingly cute outfits or makeup or anything!

O.K., one last revisitation of a topic I have already discussed in previous posts: my Private All Girls' Baltimore High School's Alumnae Magazine. I've decided not to post my entry to the magazine, a. because it's boring but more importantly b. because my problem with the magazine in the first place is it feels like a forum for hyperbole, or at least making things seem better than they are by crowing about your huge wedding or your babies or your job at Vogue/Miramax/Barclay's. This happens to me every year, and I know I am not the only one ;)

Although, I do remember last year there was a big deal being made over one girl completing her first ever sprint triathlon. So maybe I have some worthwhile impress-everyone-and-make-them-jealous fodder after all.

I want a puppy.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

dude, your a pro bike racer turned pro triathlete. what's not to sound glamorous.......

and you're not fat and married (or divorced). more to brag about.

even better, make something up that would be utterly ridiculous......I dare you!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

In complete agreement with Velogirl. You have SO MUCH to brag about.

Then again...when old classmates see my Facebook profile they're like "wow...triathlon...so is that running, swimming and biking?" And then well-meant cheers go something like "Hey, great job on your marathon!" Sigh...

So on that note - people in the outside world don't totally get it.

And I agree with you that it's a forum for people to pump themselves up and it's like high school all over again where people want to show off how cool they are because of x, y or z. Lame.

I think that's so cool about Helen's Cycles. Why are most bike shops like that (where you have to kind of know somebody or have big boobs for you to be treated well)? Why are bike shops so intimidating in general? I mean, I don't know everything about bikes, but I know a decent amount and yet I still feel like all my confidence flies out the door when I enter a new place.

The guys at NorCal Bike Shop in Santa Rosa are pretty awesome. If you're ever up here and in need of a bike shop, that's the place to go. I was very happy. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Well--thinking it's more peace-inducing to be charitable--we all know that there are rough spots in life that aren't pretty. We can read the personal updates and be happy for others successes because we know that no one is perfect. So, really, it can be a fun way to see your own sucesses. Like a gratitude journal. We can all look really good on paper, and that is good! Winning triathalons etc is fabulous. I think the premis of alumni publications is that we want to rejoice for eachother. Having a beautiful wedding is wonderful--same with babiess and great jobs--it doesn't take anything away from me to say "Awesome! Great work" to someone else.
Comparisons are odious. Acknowledge the blessings and gifts you have, and be happy for those of others--if we all got the same presents the party would be boring!!!
Sorry to go on so long--I just hate to see energy wasted in angst when there is so much reason to love eachother.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awwww now I feel like a cynical mean person.

I guess I'm just slightly jaded from my high school experience and sick of all of the materialism in our society.

Still, you make good points. Make love, not war, right? :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Courtenay - you have SO MUCH to be proud of.... can I start the list?

1) Fantastic friend - even to those who haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person
2) Pro triathlete, with several impressive wins under her belt (hello? NV Silverman!?!?!!!)
3) Pro biker
4) Dating a uberhot triathlete
5) Mom to a cute cat
6) Living a dream that only a few would dare to even chase...

I totally get your point about the hs book, though. Your call. I'm debating if I should bother going to my 10 year hs reunion... holy cow has it been that long?

Glad to hear the training is going well! You are going to be SO STRONG this season - you'll do great. Can't wait to follow your progress.

And finally - what would Charlie think if he suddenly had a puppy for a brother or sister? You know what "they" say (whoever they is...): having a dog/puppy, no mater how cute they are, is like having kids. Or close to it...

Okay - have a great day!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home