[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Santa Monica - Day 3

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Santa Monica - Day 3

I'm only feeling moderately fascinating today - possibly because after yesterday's Bob and Arnold and Usher and Rudy's Barber Shop shenanigans, today I am back to the grind. You know, typical hours of hard training that 5-second-attention-span-Courtenay finds tedious to write about unless something special happens, for example an antelope sighting or a string of 5 butterfly strokes in a row (haven't blogged about this one because it hasn't happened!) or a nice photo.

I have chalked up none of the above during today's training.

But, I have had lots of time to think about a couple of potentially interesting subjects. First being a continuation of my Loren-esque review of my various models of Brooks shoes. Last time I posted on this topic, I was bitching about UPS and also talking about how the Brooks Adrenaline 7 fit. Well, since that time, I have received and tested out 2 additional models of Brooks shoes.

On Monday I did a tempo run in the Axiom 2. It was my first run in them, and I don't yet have an opinion either way about the performance of the shoe - there might be a little too much heel but I'll give them another try this weekend and see.

Today I did my long run in the "luxurious materials" of the Infiniti. It was my second run in them, and I love them. I am going to return my Adrenalines, because I think the Infiniti is a much better shoe. There is less height discrepancy between the heel and forefoot, and from the beginning to the end of the run, I hardly noticed the shoe was there. By comparison, the Adrenaline feels too high in the heel and too low in the forefoot, and my arches start to hurt about an hour into my runs with the Adrenalines.

Anyhow, I know that the Adrenaline is a really popular shoe, and also several people have commented on my blog that they use that shoe, so I thought this might be helpful information.

On to my second thought topic worth sharing... My High School Alumnae Magazine!! Apparently last year I forgot to write in (really I just avoided it because I didn't want someone to write me back and hit me up for $$ for the stupid Annual Fund), so Paula told me yesterday that our Class News Agent asked her to write in with an update on me, but since she'd probably just say I am a cat-sitter living in Salt Lake City or some equivalent untruth, I volunteered to write my own update.

O.K. this blog is long enough and my bum is sore from typing on the floor, so I am going to go play with Bob and tell him I Love Him and later today I'll do a multiple-choice selection of possible alumnae magazine entries for Ms. Courtenay L. Brown (aak! i see a problem already! i am not a mrs.!)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Okay so thanks for the helpful advice on the Adrenaline-alternatives. I thought there was something wrong with me that my arches started to feel a little stiff after about an hour. I might have to give those a try, especially as I near that 300-mile mark.

BUT WHAT I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT SHARING IS THAT I FOUND THE PERFECT LINK ON HOW YOU CAN PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE MASS START! I saw it and said "oh! Courtenay has to see this!!"

Check it out: Swim Training for Triathlon

:D Now you don't have to be afraid!!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Excellent review - well said! I'm an aisics fan myself... but always good to hear what other people think. Thanks!

AND - didn't realize that you were supposed to write about "what you're up to" or all that stuff for the hs alumnae magazine. Yikes! Not a lot of people that I'd care to see anyway. Holy Cow that was a long time ago...

Finally - the CLIFF video is awesome. Favorite part - getting beat up BEFORE the start. Classic. And accurate. Happy training!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

i SOOO have my work cut out for me. i already ordered some foam battering rams on line, now i just need to scare up a couple more volunteers (greg volunteered so enthusiastically that he counts for 2)...

;)

i love it

9:09 AM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Thanks Courtenay, I may need to try that Inifiniti. I alternate between the Adrenaline and Asics Kayano, but I am starting to get arch pain. Hmmm, I wonder if it is because of that big difference in heel vs forefoot height. Any more thoughts?

E

9:34 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

p.s. the only "problem" with the infiniti which i forgot to mention in the blog is that it's $30 more than the adrenaline. but for me $30 is a small price to pay to feel way better while running.

anyhow the research i have done (basically looking at slowtwitch, reading shoe reviews, and also an article loren linked to about injuries tied to running shoes: http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html. for me, i think that the less height discrepancy the better, and the closer i can get to running naturally, the better....

also the cool thing about road runner sports is they let you return shoes even if you have already used them!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home