[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: San Dimas Pt. 1

Friday, March 28, 2008

San Dimas Pt. 1

Greg and I made it safely and happily down to San Dimas yesterday! All 450 (mostly) beautiful miles... Not a lick of traffic, either, which was totally nice. And we basically pretty much sort of left "first thing", as intended - 9:30 a.m. is pretty good for us actually.

But Kitty didn't want me to leave! He was holding my bike shorts hostage (Huntress I know these are last year's shorts, I only use them on the trainer I swear!)
I am sharing a room with my favourite roommate ever, Shaz, who is getting over a cold and her voice sounds like something out of the Godfather and she is currently on the phone with her dogsitter explaining why she didn't mean to insinuate that the dogsitter's ex was a ho, she was saying her dog was a ho, or something? I am not sure but it's hilarious, especially since she can't really talk.

Anyhow today was the first stage of the race, a 6k hillclimb time trial (this is the part where Greg laughs at how I thought I was a "climber" when I first started cycling, then I went to my first road race and realized my huge misclassification of myself). Mara Abbott won, followed by her High Road teammate Kim Anderson, and our very own Leah Goldstein finished third! Additionally, Godfather Shaz rode up the mountain in the 10th fastest overall time, pretty good for being at about 75% health-wise. It's all because of my simultaneously calming and invigorating roommate-influence of course. I had a good day too, finishing 37th out of 71 starters, about 3 minutes down on Mara, in a time that was over a minute and a half faster than my time on the same course in 2006!! Hooray for improvements! It was also marginally fun-ish to see my heartrate in the 180s for the first time in 6 months??

Tomorrow is the road race stage, an 8-loop circuit race totalling 56 miles. It's a bit rolling, and the race is always exciting because every lap has either a time-bonus sprint or a QOM sprint. I can't wait, bring on the sprints!

OK we are going out for dinner but first a glimpse of the San Bernadino mountains, indication of why I could never ever live in this megalopolis of cars and people and more cars that pollute to the point where you can barely see mountains that are just a few miles away:

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

Congrats on the result - you'll be moving up in no time, just a few hours and some race miles will help! I just did a warm up today - not even that hard, I saw 202 on the run and 197 on the bike. I get slightly excited for race day. Good luck!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Hooray! Nice Job! I've been thinking about you, about your races - and sending you lots and lots and lots of speedy, good vibes. Yes - seeing your hr in the 180s is sort of 1)scary 2)interesting 3) cool 4) terrifying. Nice job on the faster times too! Yee-haw!

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a very smart cat! Why do you think all of my bike clothes have cat hair all over them? Boots and Muddy like to sleep on them...

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home