[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: It's Me or the Horse

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's Me or the Horse

Now we all know I love ponies. And horses. But when my mom says "I don't know if I can watch your race on Sunday because Sarabi is competing that day," I temporarily don't love them. (Sarabi is her horse).

Are you kidding me?!?!?!

She wasn't kidding me.

Nevermind the fact that I am her first-born daughter. Nevermind the fact that this is the only race I am doing all year that my mom can attend. Nevermind the fact that is the reason I have been planning to do the race for the last 6 months. Nevermind the fact that even though it's going to be a great race, there were definitely plenty of events much closer to Lake Tahoe than Columbia, Maryland that I could have chosen for this weekend. Nevermind the fact that she can cheer for me but you are not supposed to cheer during dressage. Nevermind the fact that Sal goes to see Sarabi all the time!

GROAN!! I can't believe this is even an ISSUE or a QUESTION! I am the OBVIOUS CHOICE here!!

After I questioned my mom's rationale about this, she pulled a typical let's-overcommit-myself-even-more maneuver and "maybe" she'll "come watch me start the race" and then hightail it 75 miles down the road to Fair Hill. If that's my only option though, I'll just tell her to go play with her pony. Having her there staring at her watch waiting to leave after seeing me leap into the water like an overstuffed whale isn't my idea of quality time with my mom OR of fun stress-free racing. Or of her watching me race for that matter.

I'll let you all know how it goes of course.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

OHHHH Court!! How yucky!! You are absolutely the choice. I wish I were in striking distance--I would be a consolation cheerer. I have a freind who I bet I could get to cheer for you--she lives in Davidsonville I think.

I sympathize so because I know how disappointing it is to want the love and support of family and not get it. Like when I was MC-ing a big auction, and my closest relatives in the city couldn't make it--DRAG!!! These memories are so close that I brought flowers to my girls and watched EVERY performance when they were in Sound of Music. I vow to be at every race, graduation, performance, or other importnant event that I can for these kiddo's. Hold me to it OK?

I love you! And when you most need a cheering section during the race imagine me and my 5 kids waving COURTENAY ROCKS flags and screaming our head off!!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

thank you allison!
i will definitely be thinking of you on sunday!

the good news is that aunt glenn is SO EXCITED to come watch. i am quite grateful for that, it's so awesome that she wants to be there and isn't giving me the list of what she's giving up or moving around in her schedule ;)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

love your mother. even when she acts like a dope. trust me, appreciate her while you've got her.

have a great trip and rock the swim, okay?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I agree that mothers should still be appreciated while we still have them, but still...

I'm really disappointed. :-/

No offense to horsies and ponies, but IT'S JUST A HORSE.

Maybe she'll have a last-minute reconsideration...

10:04 AM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

BOOOOOO!!!!

If I was there, I would run around and jump up and down and scream my head off for you AND for Greg! Sorry to hear about this - I know it can't be easy.

It's odd how parents are sometimes. I spent a few years rowing, did the national team thing AND raced at World Chapmioships... consider rowing to be my favorite sport - but my parents NEVER saw me row. Never came to a regatta, or race - it was really tough. I totally empathize.

(For the record, they have really made up for triathlon.... Even though its much longer and (in my opinion) more boring, they try to spectate when they can).

Parents are just funny like that.

Tabbitha would pick you over the horse anyday... :)

Lots of love to you - I know that you'll do great and be the rock star that you are!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

Hey Court,
Sorry, but you will have so much fun and do so great out there, with or without your mom. I know it is tough, and my parents did that to me many times. They couldn't come to some of my local races because our family dog took precedence. I totally thought it was ok, some of us love animals TONS and TONS. By the way, Belle says hi ;-) HA!

Did you meet her at WF? I forgot!

XO,
E

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUCH. i feel ya. all my friends who said they would come with me this weekend to my race bailed. and i offered free travel and place to stay!!!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home