[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Home Again Home Again

Monday, March 26, 2007

Home Again Home Again

jiggedy jig, or something. Isn't that a nursery rhyme?

Anyway, Sharon and I got up at 5:30 this morning and hit the road from Redlands/L.A. back home to San Francisco, thinking we were early enough to "avoid traffic." We thought wrong, but it wasn't so bad.

At some point pre-coffee and pre-breakfast, we realized we needed gas. S.F. Mission Blvd sounded pleasantly Bay Area-like for a Southern California freeway exit, so that's the one we took. We were actually in search of Starbucks and gas but we quickly realized we didn't hit the right demographic for the former and opted to take care of the latter instead.

A little civic packed to the gills and topped with 3 fancy bikes pulls into the least sketchy and most busy gas station in San Fernando (the "S.F." from the freeway sign). Out hop two white girls in form hugging pants to stretch and pump some gas. Heads turn. Bum asks us for bus money. We say sorry. Homeboy says "You ladies picked the wroooong place to stop." I take out the pump with only half the tank full and we get out of there pronto. (For the record, Sharon thought I was overreacting, then we talked about my reasons for getting uncomfortable and determined that it's high time I hightail it out of Oakland).

Anyway, fast forward to my stint at driving, which happened a little later. Remember last week when I discussed the reasons for my solo drive to Visalia? WELL, here we go again...

Me: Whoa. How are we suddenly on Highway 99?

Sharon: I think we've been on this for like 50 miles.

Me: Oh. Shit. Sorry. We're supposed to be on 5. Can you look at the map? How far off course did I take us?


It turned out to be only about 30 miles west through some crop-dusting farmland to get to the correct and far more scenic highway. Phew. But by this point my driving skills are exhausted.


Me: So anyway, (blather blather blather about probably nothing)...

Sharon: Um, you are really close to that center yellow line. Like over top of it close. You have tons of space over here.

Me: Oh sorry! I didn't notice. Oops!


Sharon drove the rest of the way. She is a much better driver than I am.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would've high-tailed it out of that gas station too if that guy said that to me.

does Sharon live in the bay area? She looks like of like susan hedstrom from the back on the bike.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

no, ms. allpress is actually a denver resident. when she first moved there 9 years ago she was all into mountain biking and outdoorsy stuff.

me: so did you, like, shave your legs back when you were all crunchy granola?

sharon: of course! i'm from new jersey!

6:42 PM  
Blogger EB said...

If someone is going to flat-out tell me that I'm not welcome on their turf, nine times out of ten I will leave (the exception is when it's also my turf). I'd have been out of there, too.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Team TWENTY12 said...

the bloody jiggety stuck in my head for days its from:


To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,Home again, home again, jiggety jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog,Home again, home again, jiggety jog.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home