[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Latest Reasons why my Living Situation is Lame

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Latest Reasons why my Living Situation is Lame

1. I just went downstairs to wash my bike for the races this weekend, and someone took away the hose! Gah! My already cursory bike-washing regimen has now been reduced to total half-assedness...

2. I opened my mailbox to find an envelope addressed from the landlady. Shit, I thought, before even opening it, is my rent that overdue?! Or OMG am I being kicked out so her daughter can move in or something? What am I going to DO?!

But this is not what the letter was about.

Instead, it was a memo (sent to each tenant of the 10-unit building) saying that we should "please be advised that there may have been 'Evidence' of Drug Activity in the Building."

Duh. Obviously. I mean, it's Oakland for crying out loud. People smoke pot in their apartments, I said to myself.

But there was a bit more:

"I will not tolerate anyone 'using' or 'selling' drugs. Immediate 'Eviction' and possible reporting to the authorities will prevail."

O.K., intermittent capitalizations and usage of random quotations without specifically defining the contents of said quotations aside... Selling?!?! There is drug dealing going on in my building?!

I know, I know, I should heed my own "come on it's Oakland for crying out loud" words, but still. I am not exactly psyched at the thought of your stereotypical drug-dealing miscreants and whatnots shuffling through the hallway past my bike-filled apartment.

I am reminded of the time in my junior year of high school when there was this big "drug bust" at my little all girls' boarding school. Apparently some girls had been smoking pot and a couple were kicked out. I was completely flabbergasted and disillusioned and scared at the news. Oh my god I am at a school where people do DRUGS?!?!

Which further reminds me of this one time when I had this teabag - oh wait. I probably shouldn't tell this story ;)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

RUN (I mean cycle) TO DENVER AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just remember that it snows in denver in the winter, not at all conducive to riding a bike. think tucson, boulder in the desert

6:43 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

the likelihood of my leaving the bay area is about 0% at this point... latest plot is to hightail it back to the city, where i feel like i belong.
OR i could suddenly get rich and have winter and summer homes!!

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teabag story!
-T

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home