[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Drinkin' and Dialin'

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Drinkin' and Dialin'

This incident occurred last week, and I would have blogged about it earlier but it has taken several days of intense research for me to even figure out what was going on.

It was one of my mom's famous Friday Nights (see Category #1).

The partyers called me at 12:36 a.m., twice, but I didn't answer either time and actually didn't get the messages until the clear light of Saturday.

The first message was unintelligible.

Then there was the second... "Courtenay! Hey! I'm glad we got you!-pause- Oh. I guess this is just your message. O.k., long story short, blah blah blah..." And it went on for a while. I finally deduced (and confirmed) that it was friend Adam calling to tell me that Sarah (my sister) and Sam (Adam's wife) were teasing him for channeling In Living Color and they were calling him Shaniqua all evening and my mom, the pop-culture moron (sorry Sal but it's so true), was reliably spectacularly clueless.

I guess about an hour or two into the Shaniqua shenanigans, my mom (who mind you had been LAUGHING and pretending to get the jokes) was finally like "Who is this Shanik person you guys keep talking about? Shanik was this, Shanik was that, but who's Shanik?"

This prompted gales of laughter and several phone calls to sober sleeping me.

Amusing side note: when I went back and listened to the message an additional 5 times to piece Adam's version of the story together, I noticed that my only other saved message is one from my brother, which he left at some ungodly hour last January, and which I can't bring myself to delete.

"Courtenay! I'm pressing Five! Because I am trying to Page You! But. I guess I should just leave a message. I'm in LA and in case you hadn't noticed I'm a little bit wasted. O.K. love ya bye!"


So bring on the drink-and-dials, they are hilarious!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

um....

um um um um....

gulp

who is shaniqua???

yes, seriously. help me out here.

p.s. next time i am "a little but wasted!!!" i'll be sure and give you al call at 3am.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

here's a good description, oh young and uncultured sailor:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shaniqua

so i was a little bit mistaken in attributing "shaniqua" to in living color. i thought that was the origination of it. look at me, tip toeing around stereotypes...

10:00 AM  
Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

Screw the family.....

Booty call drunk dials are the best. Even better when the other person was too drunk to remember and doesn't believe you....

But you saved it and played it back to them.....

10:33 AM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

I've never hear of Shaniqua either. . .it must be the lack of TV, magazines, and movies that keeps me so ignorant :)!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I hate drink and dialers. I have a friend who sits down with a bottle of Chardonnay every evening and starts dialing. I specifically do not pick up the phone in the evening in order not to get stuck on the phone with her. Kind of sad really.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home