[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Blue flowers and Latin mottos and girls girls girls

Friday, August 24, 2007

Blue flowers and Latin mottos and girls girls girls

I went to this all girls' high school near Baltimore, Maryland. It was a boarding school.

It was fine, I didn't hate it or anything, but whenever I am with people who wax rhapsodic about how fun high school was and how they did all this cool stuff, I definitely cannot relate. High school involved studying, participating in class since there were no boys around to call you the President of the Goody Goody Association of America (g-squared a-squared for short) if you were smart, hanging out in Paula's room building one lame physics project after another, cleaning my room, and more studying. That's about it. Also this is where I honed my gossiping skills because once homework was finished there was nothing else to do besides gossip and/or call home to check in with mom. Anyway, not exactly story-swapping material, or fond-googly-eye memory material either.

Last year I skipped out on my 10-year reunion in favor of the Tour of the Gila. I actually wish I had gone to the reunion, Gila was awful and my tooth broke while I was there.

Anyway, the point of this post... Pretty much the only time of the year when I think about high school is when the annual Alumnae Magazine arrives in the mail, which it did yesterday. I had forgotten to write our Class News Agent back with all my exciting updates but it's just as well - everyone who did write in had wedding or baby or geographical relocation news to report. Or I-finally-finished-law/med/elementary ed-school news to report (what is with girls and elementary ed??). I have none of these, and I am pretty sure no one would get it if I rambled on about bike racing, especially since sometimes I don't really get it either.

Right now I am just super irritated at the fact that I am irritated that I don't have a new last name and little one to report. Ugh. I don't even want kids, why am I staring at this magazine all jealous of everyone's Isabelles and Ethans and whatnots.

UGH.

High school. Even at the age of almost-29 it still makes me feel lame and annoyed.

p.s. Here's Paula's reaction to the 2005 edition of the mag.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bike racing is much more fun than parenthood? Maybe the key is to not compare you life to theirs and just enjoy the ride you're on!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

Dear Anon-
I do appreciate your readership and your contribution, but please. Let a girl or two rant and commiserate without foisting keys and happy pills. It's just a blog, it's just talk, I am happy but so far today is a lame day. Life. So it goes.
Courtenay

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what helpful, deep advice!

But what if we're on the 'can't-spell-but-know-it-all-ignoramus' ride? Should we continue to enjoy riding that one and keep giving retarded cliche life advice to all the poor, lost souls out there who don't know any better?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

Ouch! Way too heavy! Dude! We all have bad days when we want to dis someone else's choices. . .like typing while nursing a baby is not the easiest thing I've ever done. . but here I am! We're all stuck, it all sucks. I say live up the down days! (Try reading the news of other homeschooling familiies! Little Suzie is doing calculus at nine, when I'm not sure mine can read well yet! UGG!)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Paula Dixon said...

Hmm, I never got my Alumnae Magazine, and it's my favorite read all year! I guess they cut me off for my heresy...

Stupid baby-makers.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... so much negativity from such happy people. Maybe it's better that we don't have babies!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow wow wow

sigh



... double sigh

9:30 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

yeah... there is something about high school... So I have been wondering if it was our high school or all of them? But every time I think about it, i.e. when the alumnae magazine arrives, I get that kind of sad, lustful, miserable, self-loathing feeling. I feel like I should have done more by now. Never do I feel less accomplished.

Just so you know, it seems to me that if you are happy talking about racing bikes then that is what you should do. And eff the rest of them!

(also, Hi! How are you?!)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home