[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Grand Tour of Tahoe/Carson

Monday, January 14, 2008

Grand Tour of Tahoe/Carson

Greg and I headed down to Carson aGAIN today - yesterday we rode, today we did errands, because yesterday, when we had planned to kill the two proverbial birds, someone anonymous forgot his shorts so we had to go back home to get them rather than do errands with that time. But no matter, we thought, this is a rest week so we have oodles of time.

As we drove down the mountain today, though, we saw a ton of emergency lights. The intersection of highways 50 and 395 was completely shut down due to 6 cars in varying states of squishedness and overturnedness, and one huge tractor-trailer on its side and all across the road. Gnarly stuff... and traffic was ridiculous. The accident was in between Carson and all its big box stores, really poor placement choice by those drivers.

So after errands we took the "scenic" route home, via Kingsbury Grade and South Lake Tahoe. Fortunately I at least had my camera phone, if not my real camera, because we got some great views of the Carson Valley. Actually here it doesn't look like much more than a big cold white blanket but I thought it was beautiful.

I am sort of kind of looking forward to riding this climb on my bike come spring/summer I guess? It's fierce. And not in the ANTM/Tim Gunn/Larry David way.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kingsbury Grade is pretty intimidating from the back side. After riding some flats and then some rollers, I looked up and saw the climbing grade - it looked short but the climb never ends. Each time I thought I was done, I had another corner to climb.

It can get windy but the descent to Heavenly is amazing but some traffic.

Dogs are usually not on leash and I don't like trying to get away from them...hunny stops and then yelled at the dogs to go home - that works all the time but I wouldn't dare do it - he is in the vet field...

There is a little grocery store somewhere but definitely bring food.

We use to mtn bike and ride a lot in Tahoe - our friend is an endurance athlete and now has his own tree trimming business - we crash in his house every time we go up there...

There's so many places to ride in Tahoe - good mtn biking.

Summer is cool.

Be safe!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Dino Dante said...

Kingsbury Grade is a great climb, but the descent down to the Lake is sketch-o-rama.

2:09 PM  
Blogger achilles3 said...

cool pic!

hate big box!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Auffderbach said...

Our club, Alta Alpina has a time trial up the back side of Kingsbury
in Sept. You should come out and play with us then, if not before.
BTW~ I happened to be doing errands
and got caught up in that crash. It
litterally happened 2-3 minutes before I got to it...no emergency
personal had arrived yet but plenty
of civillians had and were awesome!
5 hours later I had to go through the mess on the way home from work and it was STILL blocked and a total cluster.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

i'd love to play! thanks for the invite!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home