[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Basically Back to Normal

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Basically Back to Normal

After a few days of being so very tired, I got my head and legs back on straight, just in time for the weekend!

So my training was actually pretty decent.

Friday was a nice run and a long course swim down in Carson, where I ran into an Exterra triathlete who lives in Incline just like me - we are going to try to start carpooling down there once or twice a week, since we seem to have compatible work schedules and 60 miles round trip alone is kind of silly. According to my mom, I can't afford that gas cost anyway (see yesterday's freakout topic).

Yesterday was just a bike day, 2:30 on the trainer with 1:45 of that being interval work. The time flew by, first due to *sigh* Jason Bourne (who BY THE WAY swims breastroke with scissors kick, JUST LIKE ME!!!! He's so great), and then due to my awesome new iPod. Why I ever defected from the iPod Classic to the measly Shuffle remains a mystery. I am glad I regained my senses.

Then today I swam in our gross dumb indoor pool here in Incline, although I was very happy to notice that they seem to be vacuuming it more these days, so there are way fewer hair clumps and bandaids than there used to be! Still a bunch of kids running around though, including two girls whose mom ignored the "no food" signs and let them open a tube of Pringles in the locker room which they promptly dropped all over the floor and a bunch of them shattered and started turning into mealy globs because of the water from the pool and people showering, then of course the trio hightailed it out of there without telling the front desk that they ruined the locker room floor for all the other patrons. Gross. Sometimes people with kids really amaze me.

And finally, today was long run day! I headed out for 90 minutes after my swim. I haven't done a long run since Wildflower three weeks ago, and technically my last long training run was 5 weeks ago, so it felt great to get out and run long after taking a break from it. I missed the feeling I get after an hour of running, when I start to feel really good and really efficient and a little dose of soreness from muscles working hard and adrenaline from knowing I still have a ways to run. Also the sun made an appearance so there were lots of tourists walking around on Lakeshore Drive taking pictures of the big houses and wearing goofy "Lake Tahoe Hyatt" sweatshirts they must have bought from the giftshop because they came here unprepared for the cold - kind of like those dinky "San Francisco" sweatshirts you see walking all over the city in July on people who are clearly out-of-towners who didn't do their research... "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Supposedly Mark Twain said that but there isn't proof that he really did.

Anyhow, so that's that. Now I am sitting here goofing off on the internet, trying to make a somewhat cool-ish website for myself because on a whim a couple weeks ago I decided that blogger was dumb and I am sick of having two blogs and wouldn't it be way better to have just one site with my journal and artwork and race stuff all organized so I dropped more $ than I should have on all that hosting domain-name nonsense. Groan. I am determined to make it look like I want it to but it's taking me forever!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are recovered and back to feeling sparky again! Thank goodness for Jason Bourne and ipod as well. Those indoor training ride are more enjoyable, that's for sure!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

oooh your website! i spent forever trying to make mine the way i wanted it and i still hate it. so yeah.

9:43 PM  
Blogger m said...

It took me a long time to recover after Columbia too. Glad to hear your feeling better.

Your pool sounds a lot like mine. We constantly joke about this massive hairball and whether or not it is still in the pool. Every few days it reapears. It has been in there for 6+ months! On top of that there are bandaids and hairties littering the bottom of the pool. And the occasional little kid who poops in the pool causing it to close. Pretty gross when I think about it...

4:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

2:45 on the trainer. That is incredible. Remind me to ask you some questions about the trainer next time we chat.

That's hilarious about the Lake Tahoe sweatshirt stuff!!

The biggest thing I hate about blogger is the picture posting thing. But there's other little things too. I keep thinking about doing my own website too but I just don't have the time right now. GOOD LUCK!! :)

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home