[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: Home [from] Collage

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Home [from] Collage

I got home to my mom's house in Maryland last night. I feel like I have been here a week already, we did so much today! Put the bike together, visited with friends, visited with other friends, said hi to approx. 7 horses and ponies and the same amount of cats and dogs, swam, went to a bike shop, rode the bike, hung out with mom, watched Sarabi's flatwork, etc. Oh and had several conversations about where I am going in life. Thus even though it's been a good 7 years since I've come home from college, something about this trip is making me feel like I am a slightly aimless 22 year-old again. Anyhow here's a sampler of the day...

Here is Home, view from the bottom of the driveway.

Here is My Main Competition this weekend: Sarabi. Or in this case, Slobberabi. Again, I say to my mom that the choice is OBVIOUS!

No, they aren't twins! They actually aren't even related, although both are Thoroughbreds. On the left we have my perfect angel Sijui, who my mom got for me when I was 13 and she was 8. She is Sarabi's mom. On the right we have my mom's incorrigible monster Fox. Actually he is not a monster, I kind of like him, he and I spent 3 months together in Charlottesville before I moved to San Francisco and now he is my mom's and she lets him get away with murder because she thinks it's "cute".

Speaking of cute: Munchie goes for the good stuff.

My Blue checking out the scenery from the porch.

Munchie munching on more appropriate pony food: grass!

Also for those of you who are curious, my mom is still leaving notes all over the place especially in the laundry room.

One of the only reasons why I hate Maryland: developments are growing like weeds. The potentially funny thing about this site, which is about a mile from my mom's house, is that much of the 69 acres which was zoned as agriculture but somehow got to be sold for housing because of a state law that allows parcels of land exceeding 50 acres to be subdivided, anyway a lot of the land is very swampy and therefore has drainage issues, so there is debate as to how many cookiecutter plots of 4-car garage ugliness they will actually be able to put there.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Beautiful house and horses.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Goodwyf Allie said...

OHHHH! I bet the boxwood smells great! Give Sal a hug from me. Resist the urge to morph into 22-hood. Mantra :"I am a grown-up. I am a grown-up."

Ugly sibdivisions do wreck the countryside! Yuck!

XXXOOOO

11:14 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

aww, aimless 22-year-olds. damn.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

I didn't say aimlessness was a general 22-y.o. condition! Mine, yes, but not everyone's. Some people are better and faster than I at getting their sh!t together.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That rhododendron bush in the first picture looks awesome. Last summer's drought nearly killed ours and only two have any flowers at all.

I was pretty aimless at 22. Or, rather, I was aiming at figuring out where to aim myself, which is probably aimless according to most people.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I LOOOOOOVE THE HORSE AND PONY PICS!!!! Awwww I just want to run up and pet them and play.

I was pretty aimless at 22. But who wants to grow up quickly??

Great pics, glad you're having such a nice time!!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Eileen Swanson said...

SO CUTE! Love all the pics! Beautiful! Can I come visit?

Have a great race....

XO,
E

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home