[code"> [/code"> Courtenay Brown: So Totally Tired

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So Totally Tired

Something about/from the last three weeks has suddenly caught up to me and thrown a bunch of big rocks at my head or something. I am sooo tired. I am not that confused about why, it's been a long few weeks and I should expect to be tired. Two tough races, two trans-continental flights, erratic sleep pattern, stressing about one thing or another... But really life would be nicer if I weren't so tired!

If I weren't so tired I'd be working on some art this week. I'd have gone for a ride yesterday. I'd have swum this morning. I'd go for a run, I really want to. Also if I weren't so tired I wouldn't be tempted to fall back into a $5 a day Starbucks habit. I might not have convinced myself that dropping $200 on a new iPod was a good idea. I'd be writing all the overdue emails I want to send to friends, instead of sitting here re-reading blogs and reading race websites I've read 20 times already and dinking around on facebook oh and leaving incoherent comments on peoples' blogs.

Also I wouldn't be watching TMZ on TV!? Who really cares about Paris Hilton! God! But getting up and looking for the remote and picking out something else is just way too involved.

If I weren't so tired I'd order a GRE study guide and start working on practice tests. I'd be reading The Economist instead of the ever-disappointing Inside Triathlon. I'd remind myself that I am smart, at least I used to be anyway.

I'd be daydreaming of something more exciting than a nap.

I'd also be working on my swim, getting faster.

Bleh. Maybe tomorrow I will get some of this stuff done. Now I am just eking by, grateful at least that it's no longer thundering and lightning-ing outside. The storm scared Kitty.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

*snap* so true.

i've felt really dragging and bleck too, so I have not advance my career/life/triathlon in anyway in the last few days.

it's ok

2:55 PM  
Blogger Holly R said...

I'm with you. Something is definitely "going around". It's as if everyone has been too busy with everything lately. Damn being a "Type A"!
I moved two weeks ago. I've been getting hammered by projects at work for the past 3 months. I'm just on the edge... I can't get enough sleep. I'm so tired that I don't want to get off the couch at night and by the time I do, I'm almost crawling to bed. Then I don't want to get up in the morning, AT ALL.
So I talked to my boss this morning: I'm taking a mental health holiday, starting next week. I'm hoping that a week and a half of just taking my dog for walks, riding, and sleeping will help me realign and chill out!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awwwww, Court!!

You sound like MEEEE on Monday of this week! Seriously - everything you said echoed my sentiments Monday after I got off work.

I.was.so.tired.

I hate thinking of all the e-mails I have to catch up on, all the things I could be doing to be productive, filing all of the mail that's piled up on my file drawer, etc. and then wondering (like you) why I keep re-reading the same stuff on the internet and being completely UNproductive.

I also had planned to do a short run and lift weights.

But unlike you, instead of daydreaming of a nap, I thought "oh, I"ll just lay down for 15 MINUTES...QUICK POWER NAP AND I'M UP AND GOING TO THE GYM, YES I AM!!!"

2 hour nap was what it turned out to be. I hadn't gone to the gym. I hadn't gone to the grocery to fill our very VERY depleted cupboard and refrigerator, and I still felt like I could sleep 10 more hours.

I mourned the loss of my workout and moved on. And I feel so much better since then. :)

Anyway, after saying all that - just saying - I feel ya. And I love reading the Economist too. :)

Hope you feel more awake tomorrow!!!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I am a recreational athlete who trains like a competitive athlete, running, riding and gyming 15-22hours a week, five two a days a week and working 40-55 hours a week. I go through periods of utter exhaustion alternating with periods of feeling invincibile. I'm not sure if it is because I don't take enough planned rest days and my body just craps out from overtraining or maybe it is my version of getting sick and rundown...maybe it is hyopmania or maybe hormones. I don't know but it sucks. I usually push through, but this time am giving in and resting a bit. I'm reminding myself of the purpose of this rest when I start to feel guilty and lazy. Hope to feel better soon. Good luck getting your kick back too. Keep posting your progress and recovery advice for your fans.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest up! Sleep if your friend!! I hope you snap out of it and are back to your zippy self soon!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Marit C-L said...

Hi hi! Someone recently told me that if I have enough energy to read a book, I'm well on my way to recovery. So - if you can do art, read The Economist, study for GREs - then you wouldn't be so tired. In the mean time, embrace the TMZ, mindless TV, blogs, and race websites. You've earned it!

Thanks for the CD - SO SWEET! AWESOME! I'll be getting you back shortly..... ;)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Loren Pokorny said...

You either have a case of the Mondays or you're tired. Stop thinking and sleep, all good pros nap. If you don't believe me, call Ben, he sleeps about as much as your cat.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Courtenay said...

update for anonymous and others who are curious: i am feeling better! sleeping for 10 hrs a night works wonders.

looking back to before i started racing, when i was exercising with the intent of being fit and looking good and not with the intent of beating the panties off anyone, i think it was much harder for me to rest and to take care of myself than it is now. i ran myself into the ground so many times, and i remember many phone calls to my annoyed and frustrated mom, basically asking her permission not to work out that day because i was falling asleep at the wheel. now i am much better at monitoring my body's signals and remembering that rest makes me stronger.

from the standpoint of working out for fitness, i think there is more gray area - the goal isn't necessarily to get stronger or to be in good form for a specific race, so it's so much easier to slip into a fear pattern of OMG i am going to get fat/lazy/etc, at least in my experience. but after switching to a periodized approach to my workouts, i notice that i am much leaner and more fit and happier with myself and my lifestyle - the rest weeks allow me to reach higher levels for sure, and I don't get bored anymore with my workouts. My first year of bike racing I didn't take rest weeks, the second year I did and suddenly I was winning and improving and getting muscle tone. But I *never* would have come up with the idea on my own!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home